Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Day Trip to San Francisco

Yesterday, I had a quick & short business trip to San Francisco. I finished what I had to do in a few hours and ended up with a whole day to roam the city. The last time I was in San Francisco was in December, but I always love visiting this place. Even though it's only a short 1 hour flight from LA, it's very different from So Cal! San Francisco is so charming with their old buildings, trolleys, trendy shops & restaurants. I've also noticed that the people in San Francisco dress better than the majority of us in So Cal. The people going about the streets of San Fran were wearing fabulous coats, boots, & blouses while the Southern Californians (including myself) spend their whole day in torn up jeans, T-shirts, and flip flops. Not that I'm complaining...

I especially love the fact that you can pretty much get around anywhere without a car, so I spent the day on foot. It's a lot more colder than it is in SoCal but spring was in full bloom everywhere!I started off my self guided tour in Japantown. Walked down Filmore Street.... And ended up in the Civic Center in front of the City Hall.
Directly in front of the City Hall is the Asian Art Museum. I decided to go on docent guided tour of the Museum masterpieces. I have to say, that of all the museums that I've visited in the world, this one was probably my favorite. All of the artifacts on display were amazing!
The featured exhibit was "Drama and Desire" which displayed Japanese Paintings from the Floating World (1690–1850). Pretty amazing stuff.
I was especially impressed by this gilt bronze Buddha dated 338—the oldest known dated Chinese Buddha in the world! I've seen pictures of this guy in quite a few books so it was neat to see it in person. This museum was defiantly the highlight of my trip.The "Old Gold Mountain" exhibit was also very neat! It was created by a contemporary Chinese sculpture artist who wanted to recreate the landscape of San Francisco using mirrored utensils, steel pots, and pans. It was crazy looking.It would be nice if I had all that stuff to use in my kitchen...The rest of the day I just wandered the streets of San Fran taking the scenery in.

9 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Despite the fact that I've been to California NUMEROUS times, I have never been to San Francisco - I really must visit!! It's such a cultural, phenomenal city!

Deborah said...

I have never been to San Francisco, and it is on the list of places I want to go. I've been to SoCal plenty of times, but have never been further north. Great photos!

Kevin said...

I would like to visit both Southern California and San Francisco some day. They both sound like very interesting places.

tigerfish said...

Gosh, I've stayed in NorCal-Bay Area for almost 2 yrs but never visited these places in SF :O....everytime I'm in SF, it's for the dungeness crab :P

Thanks for sharing.

Proud Italian Cook said...

I'm so glad I stopped by, I enjoyed reading about San Francisco since I'll be traveling there in a couple of weeks. Very imformative and now I'm even more excited to go! Thanks for visiting my blog.

Steph said...

I grew up outside of San Francisco, and I loved it when we would go into the city. It's such a pleasant place. I miss it a lot! Great blog you have here!

Grace said...

great pictures, lina! san francisco is definitely on me (rather lengthy) list of places to visit. until i make it out there, i'll just have to make do with your photo-tour. :)

VEGAN TICKLES said...

I LOVE SAN FRANCISCO!!!
My dream is to live there one day.
i love the vibe there.
It is completely different from Los Angeles, where I'm from.

Jess - The Domestic Vegan said...

I LOVE this post! My boyfriend & I are making a trip to San Fran in about a month, and if all goes well, our plan is to move there. :) It's so awesome!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin