Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Lasagna Virgin

Would you believe that I've never cooked lasagna before? I mean, I've eaten plenty and I love lasagna... but I've never made one from scratch. So today was the day! It was surprisingly simple to make and tasted so much better than the frozen ones we buy at Costco from time to time.

VIRGIN SPINACH LASAGNA RECIPE

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 pound lean ground beef
10 ounces fresh chopped spinach
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 cloves garlic chopped
1 jar spaghetti sauce
2 cups ricotta cheese
8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
4 ounces lasagna noodles


Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large pot over medium heat saute spinach, onion, basil and garlic in the olive oil.
3. Next, cook the ground beef until brown.
4. Pour in spaghetti sauce and simmer 20 minutes.
5. Place a small amount of sauce in the bottom of a lasagna pan. Place 4 uncooked noodles on top of sauce and top with layer of sauce.
6. Add a layer of ricotta cheese and mozzarella cheese on top of that.
7. Add 4 more noodles and layer with 1/2 sauce and 1/2 cheese mixture, noodles and repeat until all is layered.
8. Top it off with mozzarella cheese on top.
9. Bake in a preheated oven for 45 minutes. Let it sit 10 minutes before serving.

It turned out well, even if it was my very first time. My family enjoyed it and we have enough left overs for lunch tomorrow. I think I'll be saying goodbye to frozen lasagnas forever!

8 comments:

RecipeGirl said...

Wow, that is hard to believe! Lasagnas are one of those easy go-to recipes... they make too much for our little family so I usually put them in two square pans and freeze one of them to have later. Looks like your first time was a good one!

fumipuriri said...

that looks yummmmyyy!!! :P

Edamame said...

Your site is the devil in my heart to have a big impact on power. Devil whispered to me. Mmm that you sweetly what to eat when you put the results, I'm fighting the devil I resign. Yes, I was in the diet....(T0T)
From Japan
http://food-soybean.blogspot.com/

Grace said...

ya done good. :)

ruthEbabes said...

Hey Lina loving your blog!!!! And what tasty looking lasagna. Have you added to my RSS reader.

violets said...

I Lina

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. Your lasagne looks delicious.


btw I've tagged you, I have a post about it on my blog.


Vi xx

chak wong said...

Wow! Looks delicious!

Kevin said...

That lasagna looks really good!! It has been too long since I last made a lasagna.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin