Sunday, April 27, 2008

Mrs. O's Cooking Class

Every month I look forward to my cooking class with Mrs. O. Her recipes are simple, healthy, and completely natural. Basically, her motto is to use the best ingredients and to create dishes that bring out the natural flavors of fresh food.She taught us how to make four dishes today. This one was a spring cabbage salad with sausage and mustard dressing. I always use store bought salad dressing but she inspires me to make my own. It's quite easy and it tastes better to make your own than to use most commercial salad dressings.
This was a dish of steamed spring greens with butter and salt. Simple, I know. But Mrs. O really teaches us the beauty in simplicity among other valuable nuggets of information. Such as: Never use margarine (it's fake and bad for you), Keep your meat at room temperature before you cook with it, store your butter in the freezer, and when choosing cabbage pick the lightest one with air trapped between each leaf, etc...
Ohhhh, I got to re-learn how to make crepes today. My aunt who lives in Berneuil en Bray, France taught me how to make her authentic crepes a few years back... but sadly I lost the recipe so I was glad that we made crepes today. A little different than my aunt's recipe but just as fresh and delicious! These little crepes were stuffed with custard cream and strawberries. I'm defiantly going to be making these on my own this week.
Now, lemmie tell you... Mrs. O makes the best darn muffins EVER. She barely uses sugar and never adds butter, shortening or oil to her healthy muffins, but you would never know cause they taste soooo good! Today we made steamed cream cheese muffins topped with golden raisins. When you steam the muffins instead of baking them, they turn out absolutely moist and fluffy!
STEAMED CREAM CHEESE MUFFIN RECIPE
By: Mrs. O

*Makes 7-8 muffins

Ingredients:
60g Tapioca Flour
120g Flour
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 tablespoon Wheat Germ
80g cream cheese (at room temperature)
130cc Milk
1 egg
40g sugar
2 teaspoons honey
Handful golden raisins

Directions:
1. Mix together the cream cheese (at room temperature), sugar, egg, and honey.
2. Next, mix in the tapioca flour, regular flour, and wheat germ.
3. Stir until there are no clumps in the mix and pour batter into foil muffin cups.
4. Place the muffin cups into individual aluminum or glass cups and top the muffins off with golden raisins.
5. Boil about 3/4 cups of water in a large pot. Once the water is hot, place all of the muffins inside the pot.
6. Put a lid on the pot and keep the heat on med for 12-15 minutes.
7. Set the muffins on a rack to cool and eat!

17 comments:

fumipuriri said...

haya!!!
:)

VeggieGirl said...

Oooh, Mrs. O's cooking class looks like a lot of fun - such delicious food!

AnticiPlate said...

steamed cupcakes! This sounds beyond interesting.

Elle said...

I want to go to that Mrs. O's class!

norecipes said...

Oooo... I love steamed muffins. Have you ever had those steamed "cheese cakes" they have asian groceries?

Pixie said...

I really like the sound of this Mrs O..great tips, wondering why you should keep the butter in the freezer though?

Thanks for stopping by and looking forward to viewing your very first challenge.

Mochachocolata Rita said...

I so love the idea of steamed muffins....i must tryyyyy

Jade Is Green! said...

I have always wanted to make crepes. They are so versitile, savory, sweet, they are just amazing. I have always been a little scared of them though. I should really just dive in the deep end and give it a go. Yours are making me swoon. Yum!

Oh and look forward to seeing your creations in the next DB challenge. I get the feeling whatever it is you will do a great job.

Meghan said...

Simplistic food... is GOOD food. Sometimes when we explore culinary worlds, we forget that some of the best tasting, most food cherished recipes are simple ones.

Jes said...

Those muffins look really great! You'll have fun with Daring Bakers; glad you joined!

Rosie said...

Steamed muffins this sounds very interesting Mrs O, they do look so good too!

KayKat said...

Those muffins look delicious! I've never steamed muffins, got to try these now.

Capt. Pink said...

oo, the crepes c'est si bon!

Kevin said...

Look at all of the tasty food. Steamed muffins sound really interesting!

Dana said...

Steamed muffins -- what a fascinating idea!!! I've never heard of that before, but I imagine they're a lot like the steamed buns I tried in Asia.

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

The muffins looks so yummy!

Thanks for the comment on my blog :)

Sophie said...

Yum -- crepes are delicious :). I am so amazed be the oil/butter/shortening free muffin recipe! It's my goal to be able to bake that healthy and still come out with a tasty treat! I bet the cream cheese makes them extra moist :D.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin