Friday, April 11, 2008

Portuguese Recipes

I'm counting down the days till our summer Eurotrip. 40 more days to be exact! We try to visit Portugal every summer since half my hubby's family lives in Portugal, including his mom and sister. I can't wait to sink my teeth into some authentic Portuguese cuisine. In fact, I'm so impatient that I decided to cook up some of my hubby's favorite Portuguese recipes today. For breakfast we had traditonal Pasteis de Nata. Whenever we're in Portugal we would make the one hour trip into Lisbon to buy a fresh batch of these at the famous Casa Pastéis de Belém. Nothing can compare to their top secret recipe for Pasteis de Nata. Mine didn't come out perfect cause it was too much crust and not enough custard but they were delicious nonetheless.

PASTEIS DE NATA RECIPE(Portuguese Custard Cups)
INGREDIENTS:
2 cups half & half cream
8 egg yolkegg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup sugar
397 g of Tenderflake pastry dough

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Place all filling ingredients in a saucepan and whisk together until it is somewhat frothy in appearance. Stir constantly on low heat till thickened. Let mixture cool completely before pouring into the tart shells.
3. Cut tenderflake puff pastry block into 12 if using large cups and 24 if using mini cups. Roll each piece of dough in the palm of your hand, like you would a meatball. Then flatten out by pressing your palms together.
4. Spray muffin tin with non stick spray. Place dough in muffin tin and work in so that the dough is even with the top edge.
5. Fill each tin which is lined with dough with the filling so that filling is almost to the top.
6. For large cups bake for 35-45 minutes and for mini cups bake for 20-28 minutes until golden in color. For lunch we had soup and salad but since I was going along with the Portugal theme I made traditional Caldo Verde. Considered by many to be Portugal's national dish, caldo verde is served pretty much at any restaurant there. My hubby's Mãe & Vovô would cook this dish for him as a kid.
CALDO VERDE RECIPE
INGREDIENTS:
5 medium potatoes
6 1/4 cups water/ Chicken or vegetable stock
3 cloves garlic, peeled
4 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 lb cabbage or kale
Salt & Freshly ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS:
1. Peel and cut up potatoes, and boil in salted water, with garlic.
2. When soft, mash and add olive oil and cabbage or kale.
3. Boil uncovered for about 3 minutes.
4. Season to taste.

This could be a great vegan or vegetarian dish but I added some bacon on top to make it more filling. It was my first real attempt at making Caldo Verde and I think that hubby's Vovô would be proud!

5 comments:

RecipeGirl said...

How fun! Half of my family is Portuguese (Mother's side) and my great grandmother was some sort of famous author in Portugal. There's a street named after her there. I haven't been yet... but hope to go someday. I'll pass along this post to my mom. She loves to see the authentic stuff!

Kimberly said...

What camera do you use to take the pictures of your food, Lina?

fumipuriri said...

your calo verde was so yummy!
i'm gonna try making it too :)

Lina said...

I just use my dinky little Canon Powershot. I also have a Nikon D40 I think I'm gonna start using for my food photos. It's def. a better camera.

eatme_delicious said...

Oh yum that custard cup looks amazing. I don't think I've had anything like it before.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin