Friday, April 11, 2008

Pumpkin in April?!

I know, I know, we're far from pumpkin season but the big kabocha at the Japanese market was just beckoning. Kabocha is a cute Japanese pumpkin with a deep green skin with striping and a deep orange-yellow flesh. Everyone knows that veggies and fruits are best eaten in their season... but this April Kabocha served us just fine. I love pumpkin seeds and hate to see them go to waste. So whenever I do use pumpkin or kabocha for anything, I make it my duty to toast them with a little salt and snack on them. mmmmmm, crunchy.
I've never made kabocha croquettes before but I've always been curious to try it. So today was my first attempt and it turned out crazy, creamy good. I added some mozzarella cheese in the center and it complemented the sweetness of the kabocha so well. We dipped them in a couple different sauces: tonkatsu sauce, mayonnaise, and ketchup. They all tasted great.
KABOCHA CHEESE CROQUETTE RECIPE
Ingredients:
1 pounds Kabocha (or pumpkin)
3 1/2 cups Panko (or breadcrumbs)
2 eggs whipped
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup grated Mozzarella cheese
1 teaspoon salt
Vegetable oil for frying

Directions:
1. Boil the kabocha and mash them when done
2. Add some salt to the mashed kabocha
3. Roll the mashed kabocha into golf ball sized balls and place cheese in the center as you roll.
4. Coat each croquette in flour, then eggs, then the panko.
5. Fry until golden brown & Eat!

You gotta try this sometime. Most likely when pumpkin is in season...

2 comments:

fumipuriri said...

that looks sooooooo good!!! :P

Kevin said...

Kabocha and cheese croquettes sound really good!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin