Friday, April 25, 2008

Zucchini Flowers

It's that time of week again! I went to the Farmers Market to pick up some fresh produce and saw these gorgeous zucchini flowers. I saw Giada De Laurentiis making fried zucchini flowers in Italy on the Food Network and made me really curious about trying it... so I couldn't resist picking up a few of these to experiment with.
So beautiful and delicate! I decided to make a more Japanese version of Fried zucchini flowers by using tempura batter and it turned out great! This dish is so pretty and would make a nice side course to any Italian style main dish. They were really fun to stuff too! It was like origami, folding over the brightly colored orange petals.

TEMPURA FRIED ZUCCHINI FLOWER RECIPE

Ingredients:
1 cup fresh ricotta, patted dry
8 zucchini flowers, cleaned and stems removed
1 cup Tempura Flour
Oil (for frying)
Garlic Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Pesto Sauce

Directions:
1. Clean and wash the zucchini flowers and pick out the stamen trying not to break the flower.
2. Prepare the Tempura flour, mix in a bowl with water and set aside in the fridge.
3. Mix the ricotta cheese, garlic salt, and pepper in another bowl.
4. Carefully stuff each flower, folding over the petals to conceal the cheese.
5. Dredge the flowers though the tempura batter, allow any excess to drip off then fry swiftly in the oil.
6. Dry the oil off on paper towels after frying. Eat while still hot with pesto sauce or marinara sauce.
I served this as an appetizer along with Fuseli pasta in white clam sauce.

14 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Ahh, I love going to the farmer's market!! those zucchini flowers are gorgeous!!

Oooh, what a lovely meal you had! yum!

lovecokate said...

that looks really good, the recipe seems easier than it looks! yums

Cakespy said...

Gorgeous flowers--and how delicious does that pasta look!?

Jess - The Domestic Vegan said...

I absolutely LOVE farmers' markets. The zucchini flowers are beautiful, and SO delicious-looking!

nita said...

you revived your blog! yay. you're making me hungry!!!

Kevin said...

Those fried zucchini flowers look good! I am going to be keeping an eye out for the zucchini flowers this year as I really want to try them.

Tartelette said...

I love zucchini flowers! You did a great job with these!

norecipes said...

Ooooo I can't wait till these start showing up at our farmers market out here in NYC. I bet these would be delicious with some shiso or sesame flavored sea salt.

CookiePie said...

Hi Lina - thanks for stopping by my blog! These zucchini flowers look fantastic!! What a great idea to use tempura batter. YUM!

VEGAN TICKLES said...

I love zucchini flowers.
Which farmers market is this?
By the way, all the toys belong to my husband.

Cheryl said...

I have always, ALWAYS wanted to try stuffed zucchini flowers, but have never found them anywhere. : ( Yours look gorgeous!

Deborah said...

I have never had fried zucchini flowers before, but have always wanted to try. I'm thinking of growing zucchini this year so I can!

Rhyleysgranny said...

Thank you kindly for popping into my blog. I am awaiting arrival of the vanilla paste to make those cookies. I enjoyed the walk round with you. How lovely to see a little bit of somewhere else. I have never been to California. Such a novel way to use what we call courgette flowers. They look so pretty. Lovely idea.
xxx

chriesi said...

Wow those flowers are fabulous! I hope I can get some here too.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin