Sunday, May 25, 2008

Cascais: Home Away from Home

Cascais is my hubby's second home. He grew up in Japan, but since half of his family lived in Portugal he would spend almost every summer of his childhood (and adulthood as a matter of fact) in Cascais. His mother and sister live in this lovely coastal town which is about a 30 min drive west of Lisbon. This gorgeous photo is a view from the front yard of their house.

Cascais is a cosmopolitan suburb of the Portuguese capital and used to be a fishing village back in the days. This stunning beachside city became famous when Portugal's royal family in the late 1800s claimed this place as their resort and vacation spot.
This is the official symbol and seal for the city of Cascais.Yesterday, after the rain stopped, we took a stroll down Centro de Cascais. This is the center of town which used to be an old fisherman area. It's now a big tourist spot with lots of charming shops, colorful buildings, and restaurants.
This area has small urban beaches but it's still only about 60 degrees... I think the people in their bathing suits are crazy.I love Portuguese architecture. This is a little B&B in Centro de Cascais. Most homes in Portugal have red roofs and blue tiles, this style of home is so unique to this country.A bronze statue standing in this small squre of Cascais is of Dom Pedro IV, Portugal's first liberal king. Portugal and pretty much the rest of Europe is so rich in history. It makes me realize how young the US is as a country. We don't have extremely old buildings or statues in SoCal like you do in Europe... thats for sure.

10 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Oh my, Cascais is BEYOND breathtaking and gorgeous; and how nice that your husband feels so at home there!

fumipuriri said...

iina! great pics~
portugal is one of the top countries i want to visit on my next eurotrip!

California Girl said...

So gorgeous! I love the photos.

That Girl said...

How beautiful!!! I am completely jealous of your husband for growing up there.

Magnolia Wedding Planner said...

Lina dear! These photos remind me of my trip to lisbon! i felt in love with portougal at first sight and Cascais is still in my heart!
Thanks for sharing
Silvia

UK-LA said...

Hey, Euro Trash Face, I started golfing...I can't wait to see your pics of Scotland ish...Portugal seems so far away...and if you see a gypsy, kick their pikey dogs...I hate pikeys.

Lore said...

What gorgeous sights! You're lucky to visit such a place!
Btw, I've tagged you today. You can read more about it here.

Sophie said...

These pictures are making me wish I was there too :D! It sounds like you're having a great time. I agree with you, Portuguese architecture is beautiful. That bed and breakfast you photographed almost looks like a cake :D. I especially love the colorful buildings!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Eh eh! This is where I live! Nice to see you liked it!

Hendersonville Epicurean said...

Absolutely beautiful photos! You've put Portugal on my "must visit" list.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin