Monday, May 5, 2008

Chinese Take-Out Party: Kimchee Potstickers!

Mochachocolata Rita is hosting a Chinese take-out party event. I love Chinese food and although we cook Japanese style Chinese food, we tend to have some sort of Chinese dish appear for lunch or dinner at least a few times a week. Fumipuriri was raving about a great Kimchee Potsticker recipe she made a few days ago and my mom & I got all excited about it... so I decided to make just that for this Chinese take-out party!

Most Chinese take-out places offer potstickers (or gyoza in Japanese) on their menus in some way, shape, or form. Whether they be fried, boiled, or steamed, I love em'. The Chinese have been enjoying potstickers since the Song dynasty (960 – 1280 A.D.). According to a charming legend a chef in China's Imperial Court accidentally burnt a batch of dumplings after leaving them on the stove for too long. The overcooked dumplings were burnt on the bottom only, and not on top. With no time to prepare a new batch, the chef served the dumplings with the burnt side on top, announcing that they were his own special creation. Fortunately, court members loved them! And you will love this recipe for Kimchee Potstickers (Gyozas) too! It's a Korean/Japanese twist on a Chinese dish. The kimchee adds great flavor and heat to these tasty morsels.

KIMCHEE GYOZA RECIPE

Ingredients:
Ground Pork (as much or as little as you want)
1 Cup Kimchee
1 bushel of Nira (or Chinese Chives)
salt and pepper to taste
Round Gyoza Skins (found at most Asian markets)

Ingredients for dipping sauce:
Rice vinegar
Soy sauce
Hot Chili oil

Directions:
1. Chop the Nira in to tiny pieces.
2. Drain the kimchee of most of its liquid juices and chop into small pieces.
3. Mix the nira, kimchee, and ground pork in a large bowl and add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Put a teaspoon full of the mixture into one gyoza skin and lift up the edges of the circle and pinch pleats to create a pouch to encase the mixture and pinch the top together.
5. Heat a wok or nonstick skillet until very hot. Add 1 tablespoon Sesame oil, tilting the wok to coat the sides.
6. Place dumplings in a circular formation in the wok and fry 2 minutes, or until the bottoms are golden brown.
7. Add 1/2 cup water. Cover and cook 6 to 7 minutes, or until the water is absorbed. Repeat with the remaining dumplings.
8. To make a dipping sauce, in a small bowl, mix the soy sauce, hot chili oil, and vinegar. Serve with the dumplings while hot!
"Akiyama Nappa Kimchee" is one of our favorite brands of kimchee. I used a whole jar of this in our potstickers.I love wrapping up the meat in the gyoza skin. I've gotten pretty fast and good at it over the years. :) The trick...it all comes down to how they are cooked. The best potstickers are crisp and browned on the bottom, sticking lightly to the pan, but easy to remove with a spatula. The trick to making potstickers is not to overcook them, and to line them up in a circular formation. You fry them first with oil until the bottom browns, then you add 1/2 cup of water and place the lid on top of the pan so that they are fried and steamed!This was my first time trying kimchee potstickers and I loved them! These will be reappearing on my dinner table for years to come, I'm sure.

26 comments:

RecipeGirl said...

Chinese take out? I'm all over it! These look really great- you did such a nice job of shaping them too!

Mochachocolata Rita said...

Thanks for bringing this to the party! I'll be standing near it, the plate will be shiny after i lick it clean (oppps) LOL

Cookie baker Lynn said...

I need to be brave and try making potstickers. Yours look so proffesional - very nicely shaped!

norecipes said...

These look great! I love gyoza.

Emiline said...

I made some edamame dumplings the other night, so I have leftover gyoza skins to use up. Except I think I was calling them something else.

These look great. I've never tried kimchee before.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Those Gyoza look delicious! A great idea!

Cheers,

Rosa

tigerfish said...

Perfect gyoza! And when you make them at home, you can have as many as you want :D

VEGAN TICKLES said...

Your gyoza look amazing!!!!
Picture perfect.

VeggieGirl said...

gyoza!! wonderful!!

Astra Libris said...

Thank you so much for the awesome biscuits and gravy comment on my blog! :-)

Your goyza are gorgeous, and look scrumptious! They're so perfectly formed... Wow!

Peter M said...

Lina, a food journalist (Korean background) was writing about these same dumplings here in Canada...they look like a fabulous dim-sum!

Kimberly said...

When Johnny, Palmer, and I come over, can you teach me how to cook too? Hehe.

Deborah said...

I tried to make potstickers once, and it was a huge disaster! I should try this out, as these look absolutely fantastic!

Capt. Pink said...

i was watching "Guy's Big Bite", and I made really good wonton's from that recipe. This looks really good, I'm gonna try it!

fumipuriri said...

yay! kimchi gyoza!! :P

Annie said...

Lina, Great post. I really learned a lot too!

Erika said...

These look too pretty to eat! I would love to try them, but mine would look so messy I'm afraid!

Cakespy said...

Holy yum! Now this is a party I wish I could have been at! :-)

mimi said...

these look absolutely delish! i've only made pot stickers one time before, but i bet with kimchee it's even better.

Heather said...

Your life is yummy and so are those gyoza! I love kimchee so much. Just stuffing it in my face with giant mouthfuls of rice. Yuuuuuuuummeh.

WeezerMonkey said...

Thanks for your correction today! I guess I was saying "March 5" or something like that! :)

Your blog is awesomely delicious!

Kevin said...

Those potstickers look great! I really like the idea of stuffing them with kimchi!

sher said...

WOW!!! I love dumplings. Those are amazing. I made won ton soup for myself tonight--and those potstickers would have been perfect.

Hallie Fae said...

Wow, I'm not sure I could ever make anything that looks as pretty as those dumplings. Do you think I could substitute ground chicken for the pork?

Patsyk said...

OMG! I HAVE to make these, and soon! I'm marking this one because we adore Asian food - especially all the appy's! Fantastic!

ps... thanks for stopping by my blog!

Steph said...

Oh. My. These look soooo good. I LOVE potstickers, and I have never attempted to make them. Thanks for the recipe!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin