Friday, May 2, 2008

Dangerous Cooking

Tonight, for dinner we had tempura. We had shrimp, squid, and vegetable tempura along with white rice, miso soup, chive and bell pepper salad with atsuage, as well as cucumbers with spicy sauce. A warning to those who don't know... frying squid is VERY dangerous!!! As I was frying the squid it went "pop!" and I got splattered by oil on my face and arms. OUCH! Now I got a small scar on my forehead. :'( boo hoo~. The water in the squid is what causes it to spit and pop while frying.
Here are some tips to make sure this dosen't happen to you:
Make sure the squid is dry and well floured.
The oil should be hot but not boiling.
The deeper the oil the less splatter.
Use a anti splatter screen over the top of the frypan.

14 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Oh no!!! I do hope that your forehead heals soon, from the burns :0(

Lore said...

Bad bad squid!
Thanks for the warning and hope yout burns heal very soon!

Grace said...

would it be overkill to wear a welder's mask when frying? i think not. :)

Zoomie said...

Good words to the wise! Bet that meal was yummy even if you did get a boo-boo out of it!

Vicarious Foodie said...

Wow--what a dinner! I'd have to go to a restaurant to get a meal like this.

So sorry to hear you got burned. Hope it heals fast!

Kevin said...

I have been wanting to try frying squid. Thanks for the tips. I hope your forehead heals soon!

Krysta said...

ouch! i am so jealous of your bowls and plates... what a beautiful setting.

cook eat FRET said...

i feel your pain. literally. i did chicken livers last weekend. same deal. got myself on my face, but good. nice burn but it's almost gone now...

anyway, good job on the tempura!

norecipes said...

:( sorry to hear about your burn. I just burned by arm on the top of the oven as I was taking something out the other day. Looks like your dinner turned out well though.

Capt. Pink said...

that totally sucks, one time oil hit my face. it hurt so bad.

Elle said...

So sorry about your forehead! Frying scares the heck out of me...

tigerfish said...

Squid is an ingredient I seldom (or never )buy. I think preparation (the cleaning, slicing) and cooking requires too much work! Thanks for your tips! Maybe it will help me take a first step :)

Mochachocolata Rita said...

i tried making pork and squid ball and wow...the oil explosion...it splattered EVERYWHERE! i am never doing pork and squid ball again EVER

^_^

giz said...

I just found your blog - such intrigue - dinner was sounding fascinating and wham - a boo boo...oh noooo... I'm bringing my medical kit. Save me some food.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin