Thursday, May 22, 2008

Indian Food & Champions League

My mother-in-law & sister-in-law live in a beautiful city near Lisbon called Cascais. After landing in Lisbon, hubby & I were famished so after dropping off our suitcases we headed straight to the local Indian restaurant, Mayura (which means “peacock” in Hindi). It's kind of funny that my first meal in Portugal was Indian food... but the Indian food here is some of the best I've ever had. The fresh baked garlic naan bread here is the best, and it comes with 3 dipping sauces: mango sauce, chili sauce, and mint yogurt sauce.Everytime we come here, we always order the ground lamb kebabs with spices. It has a minty flavor to it, and is very yummy.The curry here is also always yummy. My favorite is the chicken curry, the spicier the better! Hubby likes his chicken tikka masala. After a long, tireing flight I was happy to get some warm food in my tummy.We washed the food down with the local Portuguese beer, Sagres. I really love Portuguese beer it has great flavor and its really refreshing.For dessert, we had something called babinka. It was a Indian dessert of layered custard. It had some nutmeg in it and tasted like something I would want to eat for Christmas. I wasn't kidding when I said the hubby was soccer CRAZY. The family had an alterior motive for wanting to eat at Mayura yesterday... they have a big screen LCD TV that was showing the champions league final game, Manchester Untied vs. Chelsea. He has been nervously awaiting this game for the past week and refused to miss it. Hubbys palms were sweaty and his pupils were dilated. Soccer is his crack... I prayed to the God of soccer that Manchester United would win, because if they lost hubby would surely be in a bad mood for the rest of the week. We literally spent almost 4 hours at the restaurant watching the game! By the end of the meal my head was buried in the table and I was snoozing off to the smell of curry and sound of the soccer game. I couldn't help it after the long 21 hour transit! I woke up at the end of the game. Just in time to see Manchester United win with their penalty kick. Hubby was jumping up and down yelling in the Indian restaurant. Thank you God of soccer for letting Man U. win. A happy hubby makes a happy wifey. :) Finally, I can go home to sleep in peace.

MAYURA RESTAURANT
Rua Freitas Reis
15 B, Cascais, Portugal
Tel: 21 484 6540

7 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Wow, Mayura sounds like a FABULOUS Indian restaurant!! And yes, it's ironic that your first meal in Portugal was Indian cuisine :0)

Haha!! So funny that you stayed at the restaurant for hours, watching the game :0D

Jan said...

Glad your having such a great time - that restaurant food looks yummy!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

How I have a serious hankering for some warm Nann bread and dipping sauces!

norecipes said...

Portugal is one of my favourite places in the world. Fantastic food, some of the best wine in the world, friendly people and it's still relatively inexpensive. If you like pungent cheeses, get some Azeitao, it's creamy and delicious. Enjoy your trip!

Capt. Pink said...

the curry sauce is really good in Euro, and Rconaldo too!

UK-LA said...

You should eat portuguese sausage in portugal, I've heard it's kind of like eating french fries in France...not as cool as it sounds...lol - not really.

lina said...

Mmm... Your pictures really made me long for Indian food. Maybe I'll have to make a trip to an Indian restaurant this weekend.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin