Friday, May 9, 2008

Drink Your Tea and Eat it Too

This is a 2 in 1 dessert. Bake your tea right into the cake so you can have your afternoon tea and cake all in one bite. I sucessfully made a perfectly fluffy and subtly sweet Matcha pound cake today.

MATCHA POUND CAKE RECIPE

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
2 tablespoons matcha powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
5 large eggs, separated
1 pinch salt


Directions:
1. Prepare 2 loaf pans (9x5x3) by buttering and lining with parchment paper. Butter the parchment paper as well.
2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
3. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, matcha, and baking powder.
4. In a large bowl, beat together the butter and the powdered sugar for 3 minutes or until light and fluffy.
5. Add the yolks into the butter mixture, one at a time, mixing well in between each addition.
6. Add the dry ingredients into the butter and yolk mixture and set aside momentarily.
7. In a large clean bowl, beat the egg whites and salt until soft peaks form.
8. Fold the beaten egg whites into the yolk batter and gently mix until incorporated.
9. Pour the batter into the loaf pans and smooth the top.
10. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes.
11. Cool for 10 minutes, dismount and cool on a rack and eat!

10 comments:

RecipeGirl said...

Ah, you've jumped on the matcha bandwagon! I've been seeing recipes with this all over the place. I've never even seen it before. Where can I pick it up?

Lina said...

recipezaar! I love that site.

Lina said...

oh... you mean the matcha? haha. I picked it up at the local Japanese market. But I imagine you can buy it at a lot of places online too...

Lore said...

All these matcha recipes got me intrigued. I must buy some and soon. That photo is gorgeous!

VeggieGirl said...

oooh a matcha tea cake?? looks wonderful!!

That Girl said...

I read a blogger who said she's been seeing match cake everywhere online - but I hadn't. Of course, now that she wrote that, I'm seeing it everywhere too!

Cakelaw said...

This looks great - amd what could be better than having your tea and cake in one?

Elle said...

So pretty! I haven't seen matcha anywhere, either. But I haven't technically looked for it yet. hehe!

Nic said...

Thanks for sharing this brilliant idea. Your pound cake looks sooo goood! I love pound cake with ice cream like this, and the addition of matcha is perfection!

Tara said...

What exactly IS matcha? I know it's a powder, but is it made of tea? I too have been seeing this used in cake all over the place and I just love the pretty green color. Can you tell me more about it?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin