Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Mouth of Hell

It's been raining on and off since we've arrived to Portugal. The sun started to peek out of the clouds so we went to have lunch at a restaurant with a ocean view. The restaurant is called Mar do Inferno and it's right next to the Boca do Inferno (Hell's Mouth) in Cascais. Boca do Inferno is a chasm on a cliffy seashore and is quite the tourist attraction around here. I don't really know why they call it Hell's Mouth when it's such a beautiful and calming place. Maybe they call it that because of the huge waves that violently & dramatically strike the rocky walls. When I think of "Hells Mouth" I think more of my dog's mouth and her stinky breath...I love to come to this restaurant because of it's ocean view and their super fresh seafood. You gotta admit, nothing beats fresh seafood.

We had some refreshing and wonderfully sweet white wine sangria with our lunch. It was great! I love that people in Europe drink from lunch time and never stop untill its time to go to bed.I tried Percebes (Barnacles) for the first time when I visited Portugal 4 years ago. Perecebes are crustaceans that are considered a delicacy in Portugal and I love these things! Nowhere else in the world have I ever seen people eating barnacles before, but they are so much fun to peel open and the fleshy meat tastes a lot like clams. The waiter added a bonus of one baby lobster to the plate since we had to wait so long to be seated. When you first sit down at a restaurant in Portugal, most of the time you don't even have to order your appetizer. The appetizers automatically appear on your table and if you decide to eat it they charge you, if you don't they take it away from the table. It's great if you're really hungry when you sit down. One of the appetizers you see most often is Queijo Fresco. It's a light and airy fresh cheese made from cow's milk. You eat it with lots of salt and pepper and it's a great way to start a traditional Portuguese meal.
The Portuguese bread that comes with every meal is soooo yummy. With all of these great appetizers its hard not to be stuffed before the main course.
We had some Spanish style rice.
Sis-in-law had Fried Helk fish fillets. Hubby & I had the seafood platter with grilled fish, grilled prawns, and mussels. Potatoes, carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower also came with the dish and everything was perfectly delicious! Of course, no meal in Portugal is complete without dessert. We had some pudin flan (traditional Portuguese flan). And my sis-in-laws favorite dessert, Baba de Camelo, a Portuguese caramel mousse. So creamy and rich. We had a pleasant sunny lunch at a table on the porch overlooking the sea. I definatley reccomend this restarant to anyone who might be visiting Cascais.MAR DO INFERNO
v Rei Humberto II de Italia
Boca do Inferno
Cascais, Portugal
Tel 21 4832218

9 comments:

Kitt said...

Oh, delicious! What a lovely spot.

I'm curious about those barnacles. How exactly do you eat them? It looks like they serve a bunch of them attached to ... what? A piece of wood? Can't make the picture bigger, so it's hard to tell.

Anyway, share whatever details you can, please!

Hope the rest of your trip is as lovely.

Sophie said...

This post is delicious :). It looks like you're having a splendid time, too. I agree with you; normally a beautiful view like this doesn't come to mind when I hear the term 'hell's mouth'. I would love to eat here, what a gorgeous setting! I don't know that I'd have the guts, literally and figuratively, to try barnacles, though :). Enjoy the rest of your trip :D!

norecipes said...

I am so jealous of your meal. I really miss Percebes. I remember the first time I saw them come out I was a bit turned off because they looked like giant worms, but they are a lot of fun to eat and I love the way the brine explodes in your mouth as they empty their contents.

VeggieGirl said...

Such a GORGEOUS atmosphere; and what a delicious-looking meal!! I do hope that the rain hold off while you're there!!

Bellini Valli said...

Sounds like you're having a great time despite the rain:D

meesh said...

barnacles? i think i just barfed in my mouth....

Grace said...

that's a rough name for a lovely place! speaking of lovely, that caramel mousse...goodness gracious me.

Dee said...

Lina, the pictures are amazing. I'm trying not to lick my screen. What a lovely vacation :)

Daziano said...

I've always wanted to visit Portugal! So I'm loving your posts and photos!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin