Friday, May 16, 2008

Okonomiyaki お好み焼き

Okonomiyaki (お好み焼き) is basically a Japanese pancake/pizza. This dish is mainly associated with the Kansai area of Japan, but its eaten all around the country and everyone loves this stuff! The word, "Okonomi" literally means "as you like"... a great name for this dish since you can practically make it any way you like. People make it with seafood, veggies, pork, beef, etc...
Mom whipped up a batch of these yummy pancakes for lunch today. We top these Japanese pancakes off with mayonnaise, brown okonomiyaki sauce, and bonito flakes. This recipe is just how we like our okonomiyaki...

OKONOMIYAKI RECIPE

Ingredients:
300 g flour
210 ml water
2 eggs
Cabbage
Thinly sliced pork
shrimp
bonito flakes
mayonnaise
okonomiyaki sauce

Directions:
1. Cut four large, green cabbage leaves without the hard, white core in thin strings
2. Mix the water, flour, eggs and the cabbage together in a bowl.
3. Coat the fry pan with oil and lay 2-3 thin slices of pork on the pan.
4. Once the bottom of the pork strips are nice and brown, pour the dough like a pancake on top of the strips of pork.
5. Before turning the okonomiyaki over, and while the dough is still quite soft, put pieces of shrimp on top of the dough.
6. Once the bottom of the okonomiyaki is cooked, flip it over like a pancake.
7. When fried well, serve the okonomiyaki with katsuobushi (bonito flakes), aonori, mayonnaise and okonomiyaki sauce.

12 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

A Japanese pancake/pizza dish?? Intriguing!!

Kitt said...

Looks yummy! I wonder if every culture has a pizza-like concoction.

Jan said...

Looks great - I am now in search of okonomiyaki sauce!

norecipes said...

Yum, I love okonomiyaki. I like mine with a little benishoga.

Laura @ Hungry and Frozen said...

That sounds so delicious! I love the pizza style of it...and mayonnaise with it sounds good...

Hendersonville Epicurean said...

Love the look and translated name of this dish! Think I might tell the family I'm making them "as you like" and see what they each want to add!

What does your mother think of you taking pictures of her cooking?

Magnolia Wedding Planner said...

lina this is just great! It's such a fantastic recipe to solve lots of unexpected dinners!!
thanks so much dear and have a great evening!
Silvia

Elle said...

I've never heard of these, but I'd love to try them! What a great idea, and i love that everyone can make their own.

ServesYouRight said...

I LOVE okos :-) Now whats okonomiyaki sauce?!

Smita

Kevin said...

That okonomiyaki looks great! It has been too long since I last made okonomiyaki.

Victoria said...

What a great blog! I have a friend who has told me about okonomiyaki and how much he enjoyed it when he was in Japan. He and his wife spend July fourth weekend with us, and it's always a time to feast; now maybe I can surpise him and make okonmiyaki. Thanks.

tigerfish said...

Now I crave for okonomiyaki...I better go to the nearest Sogo and find some now! :O

Blog Widget by LinkWithin