For mother's day, my brother and I prepared a full course dinner for our #1 mom. My little brother (who is a lot taller than me) was such a help in the kitchen and helped me do everything from the grocery shopping, the cooking, eating... well not the clean up part... but he was a great helper!
We started dinner off with appetizers of savory crab stuffed mushrooms (see recipe below) and a strawberry salad. I've never had salad with strawberries in it before but I thought it looked elegant and it tasted surprisingly fresh and wonderful.
Originally, we planned on cooking lobster for dinner but when I went to the store and found out that 4 tiny lobster tails cost $70 bucks I quickly switched over to salmon... which is still tasty but more economical. The brother grilled the salmon with salt and pepper. I made the sauce which is cream cheese, herbs, and white wine. On the side are caramelized carrots and butter-bomb scallops with thyme. Everything tasted great, if I may say so myself.
Lil' bro peeled, sliced, and layered the potatoes for the gratin. We topped it off with some cheese and baked it for 45 minutes to get the top nice and crispy.
SAVORY CRAB STUFFED MUSHROOM RECIPE
3 tablespoons butter, melted
24 fresh mushrooms
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons minced green onions
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup diced cooked crab meat
1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup shredded cheese
1/4 cup dry white wine
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a baking dish with 3 tablespoons butter.
2. Remove stems from mushrooms. Set aside caps. Finely chop stems.
3. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the chopped stems and green onions and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat. Stir in lemon juice, crab meat, soft bread crumbs, and egg. Thoroughly blend the mixture.
4. Place mushroom caps in the buttered pan, and stir until caps are coated with the butter.
5. Arrange caps cavity side up, and stuff cavities generously with the green onion and crab meat mixture. Top with shredded cheese.
6. Pour wine into the pan around the mushrooms.
7. Bake uncovered in the preheated oven 15 to 20 minutes, until cheese is melted and lightly browned. Serve warm.
The meal came to an end with an awesome dessert... which was the top secret daring bakers challenge (it will be revealed in coming weeks).
I think Mom had a nice mother's day dinner, and she deserves only the best. I can cook a thousand full course meals and it can never compare to the love and dedication she has given me & my siblings. We love you mom~