Monday, May 12, 2008

Only the Best for Mom

For mother's day, my brother and I prepared a full course dinner for our #1 mom. My little brother (who is a lot taller than me) was such a help in the kitchen and helped me do everything from the grocery shopping, the cooking, eating... well not the clean up part... but he was a great helper!
We started dinner off with appetizers of savory crab stuffed mushrooms (see recipe below) and a strawberry salad. I've never had salad with strawberries in it before but I thought it looked elegant and it tasted surprisingly fresh and wonderful.
Originally, we planned on cooking lobster for dinner but when I went to the store and found out that 4 tiny lobster tails cost $70 bucks I quickly switched over to salmon... which is still tasty but more economical. The brother grilled the salmon with salt and pepper. I made the sauce which is cream cheese, herbs, and white wine. On the side are caramelized carrots and butter-bomb scallops with thyme. Everything tasted great, if I may say so myself.
Lil' bro peeled, sliced, and layered the potatoes for the gratin. We topped it off with some cheese and baked it for 45 minutes to get the top nice and crispy.
SAVORY CRAB STUFFED MUSHROOM RECIPE

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons butter, melted
24 fresh mushrooms
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons minced green onions
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup diced cooked crab meat
1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup shredded cheese
1/4 cup dry white wine

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a baking dish with 3 tablespoons butter.
2. Remove stems from mushrooms. Set aside caps. Finely chop stems.
3. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the chopped stems and green onions and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat. Stir in lemon juice, crab meat, soft bread crumbs, and egg. Thoroughly blend the mixture.
4. Place mushroom caps in the buttered pan, and stir until caps are coated with the butter.
5. Arrange caps cavity side up, and stuff cavities generously with the green onion and crab meat mixture. Top with shredded cheese.
6. Pour wine into the pan around the mushrooms.
7. Bake uncovered in the preheated oven 15 to 20 minutes, until cheese is melted and lightly browned. Serve warm.

The meal came to an end with an awesome dessert... which was the top secret daring bakers challenge (it will be revealed in coming weeks).

I think Mom had a nice mother's day dinner, and she deserves only the best. I can cook a thousand full course meals and it can never compare to the love and dedication she has given me & my siblings. We love you mom~

26 comments:

Bellini Valli said...

Your mom was so spoiled by her 2 kids. What an elegant dinner to show your appreciation and love:D

Beachlover said...

It's a really nice both of you show your love and gesture to your mom.I love your crab stuff with mushroom.Lovely:)

Peabody said...

Yum! I love crab stuffed mushrooms. They are such a great appetizer.

Jan said...

Those mushrooms look sooo good - I could eat them now (it's 9.30am) LOL

Magnolia Wedding Planner said...

Wow Lina this menu is absoloutely fantastic!
You mom should be very proud of you! and everything look so delicious
Have a wonderful day :-D
Silvia

VeggieGirl said...

Aww, so love of you and your brother to prepare such a fabulous full-course dinner for your mother!! I'm LOVING that strawberry salad, especially.

rowena said...

After reading this - all of this fabulous food! - I can't help but think that your mom is one lucky person to have kids like you and your brother. Makes you wish that Mother's Day was everyday, right? ;-)

Thanks for stopping by and leaving the comment at the site!

Daziano said...

What a perfect dinner!!! Yours potatoes au gratin... mmmm!!!

Elle said...

What a gorgeous meal! Everything looks spectacular!

Grace said...

that's one heck of a spread--your mom's a lucky lady! i'd take food gifts over flowers or jewelry any day. :)

Sophie said...

My goodness...I'd looove to come to your house for dinner! Everything looks so beautiful and full of flavor! Lovely presentation, beautiful pictures...great job. You definitely get a 10 in my book! :D

P.S....I just joined Daring Bakers this month, and I'm a bit intimidated about what we're baking this month ;). I can't wait to see what yours looks like...ok, I think I've said enough :D.

lovecokate said...

A++ for presentation! ps. i wanted all of us to go out last saturday, but dary was busy... we have to get together before you leave for Scotland, missy. Will you still blog about your yummy Scottish food?!

RecipeGirl said...

Everything looks so delicious! What a treat for Mom!

Capt. Pink said...

母の日の幸せ!

Kevin said...

That looks like a really good meal. The crab stuffed mushrooms sound great!

daphne said...

awww.. so glad u spoiled your mum! That is a great great meal! I hope she is proud of you =)

Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) said...

This was one bumper meal....I can see that the two of you absolutely adore your mother....and so you should.

COZINHA QUENTE said...

Wow, Lina!!! I loved your blog!! And I bet your Mom loved for sure this wonderful dinner!!!
I love your pics!!!! Very nice!!!
xoxo,
Giovanna

tigerfish said...

Your mom must be proud of all of you :D

So delicious.

nicisme said...

Oh what a feast you all had. It's all so beautifully presented, how lovely for your mum!

Medena said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog, I am so glad you did! You have great blog!
This dinner looks and sounds delicious; love the mushrooms and potatoes especially! Yummy!

HoneyB said...

Your stuffed mushrooms look so good!

EAT! said...

Ohhhhh! those mushrooms look divine. looks like a new recipe to enjoy at happy hour.

Vicarious Foodie said...

Your salad looks so pretty--I have a strawberry salad planned, too, for next week. I love your gratin, as well. I always thought you needed a mandoline to make a gratin, but I'll have to try this.

norecipes said...

Great idea putting strawberries in the salad what kind of dressing did you use? If you're looking for cheaper lobster, try a chinese market like 99 Ranch. I've bought them for less than $10 a pound there before.

Proud Italian Cook said...

Can I be your Mom too?? What a gourmet feast! I'd say she has a couple of great kids!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin