Friday, May 30, 2008

Pastéis de Belém

Every time I visit Portugal I MUST go to Pastéis de Belém in Lisbon at least once. I know it's hyped and its a big tourist spot and you have to wait in a long line to buy just one darn Pastel de Nata... but it's so worth it. I love that they serve them hot, fresh out of the oven. I dare you to eat only one, 'cause it's just not possible.Pastel de Nata is a super yummy Portuguese egg tart with a creamy inside and crunchy outside. They sprinkle the top of these perfect tarts with cinnamon and powdered sugar. A while back, I tried to recreate this pastry at home but theres no way I can compete with the legendary Pastéis de Nata of Pastéis de Belém. This place has been in business since 1837, thats gotta mean it's good right?!At Pastéis de Belém the top secret recipe is recreated every day and the pastries are made by hand using only traditional methods. If you go to the back of the cafe you can see the bakers taking the pastries out of the oven, but the batter is made behind bolted doors so nobody knows exactly how these Pastéis de Nata are made. They say that only three people in the world know the custard recipe, which has not changed since they opened in 1837. Pastéis de Belém is right next to the Jeronimos Monastary but I always end up getting distracted by the cafe and have actually never stepped inside this magnificent monastary. That is on my to do list...next time I visit Portugal (if I don't get too distracted by the pastries again).CAFE PASTEIS DE BELEM
Rua de Belém
84-92 1300-085
Lisbon, Portugal
Tel: +351 213 637 423

7 comments:

That Girl said...

Well if there's a line that's just proof of goodness, right?

VeggieGirl said...

That place DEFINITELY sounds worth the wait in line!!

vermichelli said...

is this anything like the hong kong egg tart?

<_img src="http://www.soton.ac.uk/~css/images/HK/eggtart.jpg">

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Lina, this is a place for tourists and locals as well. I go there often and you're right it's impossible to eat just one! This along side the Travesseiros de Sintra are the best things ever invented.
If you love portuguese pastries so much here's something you might enjoy : http://www.fabricoproprio.net/
I'll be happy to help you if you try to do Pasteis de Nata again.

Cynthia said...

Yeah I can see how eating just one of these would be just ridiculous. :)

Dhanggit said...

i've always wanted to go to portugal ..this place is another reason to go there :-)

Elle said...

Beautiful! And um...I'd totally get distracted by the pastries, too. ;)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin