Wednesday, May 7, 2008

San Francisco Photo Tour

I went on another day trip to San Francisco for business today. Left on an early morning flight and came back in the afternoon. Lucky me, work was done quickly and I was left with the rest of the day to do as I wish... So I put on my headphones, and with a little BGM, I went camera crazy around San Francisco. Bear with me, and come on a photo tour of this beautiful city.I went directly to the Civic Center from SFO International Airport and as soon as I came out of the BART station I was overwhelmed by the crowd of people at the Farmer's Market. I love checking out local Farmers Markets, and I just keep on coincidentally appearing at the right time and place for Farmers Markets. Personally, I liked the one better by Embarcadero, but this one in front of the Civic Center is still by far better than the Farmers Market back home.There were lots of vendors selling fresh produce, fruits, fish, and I even found a stall selling Biwa! These were much sweeter than the ones growing in our front yard. With my camera in hand, I went trigger happy. I clicked and clicked and walked and walked all around the city. This is a shot of a randomly beautiful church I walked by...Next, I headed towards Fisherman's Wharf, a San Francisco Landmark known for it's historic waterfront. From Fisherman's Wharf you can get a good view of Alcatraz, the infamous federal penitentiary. I went to visit the Rock back in December for the first time, and it is defiantly a eerie place with lots of history that you must visit.Seafood vendors with open air stands are lined up along Taylor Street showing off their daily catch.Check out that live crab! Yum!I walked along Fisherman's Wharf to Pier 39 to see the famous sunbathing Sea Lions. You can hear them barking from blocks away.Man... have these Sea Lions got it good or what? They just lie in the sun all day and doze off with the seagulls. Pier 39 also has a shopping and dining marketplace with arcades, theater, carousel, ice cream shops, restaurants, and candy shops! All that tempting taffy at the Candy Baron was getting me hungry so I started to hunt for something good to eat for lunch.At the Pier 39 marketplace, I came across this sign. Hmm, fresh BBQ salmon on salish bannock bread huh? Sounds good. $6.50, is a little bit on the expensive side for a sandwich but I've never heard of Bannock bread before and I wanted to give it a try.I found a empty bench by a quiet yacht dock and settled down for my lunch. I took one bite and thought "this tastes like a fish donut!" Basically Bannock bread is just pan fried bread dough. Kinda like a donut but without the sugar. After visiting the Fisherman's Wharf and eating there quite a few times I've come to the conclusion that the food here is overpriced and over hyped. There are stalls selling clam chowder everywhere but it's never been anything to write home about, and this salmon in Bannock bread was nothing special either. During my entire meal this GIGANTIC seagull was sitting directly in front of me, mad dogging me. He seemed to really really want a bite of my salmon sandwich so I threw him a huge chunk of the bannock bread. He swallowed it hole. I guess seagulls don't have teeth so they don't chew...
After my lunch I was on a mission to find the wild parrots of Telegraph Hill. And yes, it's because I watched that documentary. Sadly, after circling Telegraph Hill a couple of times I gave up. The parrots were nowhere to be seen.I've never been to the Coit tower before so I decided to feat the million steps to get there. My thighs were burning! I didn't realize how far up the Coit tower was!The Coit Tower is at the top of Telegraph hill. And when I say top, I mean TOP. It's shaped like the nozzle of a fire hose as a memorial to the volunteer firemen of San Francisco. The Coit Tower lobby is lined with 360 degrees of colorful WPA murals. The panoramic views from around the tower were amazing. This is a photo of the Christopher Columbus statue in front of the Coit Tower, gazing upon Alcatraz.
I got lost today, more than once. I can always count on asking a mailman for directions. Seems like all of the mailmen walk here because the mail trucks can't drive up these ultra steep hills. Hats off to these amazing postal workers who walk up these 50 degree inclines every single day. Now that is a tough job.

My day ended with a little shopping around Union Square.

And that's a wrap to my day in San Francisco. Until next time...

11 comments:

Daziano said...

Nice pics!!! I haven't visited anything on the east coast yet (but LAX LoL)...

Daziano said...

I meant west coast, d'uh! I'm not great on orientation...

VeggieGirl said...

Ahh, I'm DYING to get out to SF, very soon - such a wonderful location!! Glad that you didn't have to work the whole time, and got to fully enjoy your time there :0)

ServesYouRight said...

This is lovely - thank you for sharing!

Smita

That Girl said...

What a great resource you are for tourists! This is a great guide to SF.

Rhyleysgranny said...

I really enjoyed your tour of SF. I would love to visit there. The cable cars are excellent. Thank you for the trip
xxx :)

tigerfish said...

Was in bay area for 2 yrs but never done a SF trip as detailed as yours!
Did you try the crabs? I miss those crabs man!

Zoomie said...

Glad you enjoyed our city - the Civic Center is right near where I used to work at Hastings College of the Law. Fun to see it from your perspective! And that farmer's market, while less upscale than the Ferry Plaza market, is great! Fresh veggies in a part of the city where few good groceries exist! You're right about Fisherman's Wharf, though - next time go to North Beach which is right near by for excellent Italian food (Columbus Ave.) Enjoy!

Krysta said...

You got some really good pics of S.F. what a beautiful day!

Kuttibalu said...

Hey thanks for sharing.. i am coming to SFO next week.. I shall do the same..

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I'd love to visit SF! Thanks for the great tour and beautiful pictures!

Cheers,

Rosa

Blog Widget by LinkWithin