Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Shrimp Scampi

I love shrimp, I love garlic, I love butter... so what's not to like about shrimp scampi? Nothing. I am a big fan of Kevin at Closet Cooking. I check his blog everyday and he never lets me down with his simple and fool proof recipes. Yesterday, I was drooling over his Shrimp Scampi photos so I decided to give his recipe a try. The combination of butter, garlic, lemon, and white wine is pure genius. This dish tasted like something from a high class Italian restaurant. I added some fresh spring asparagus to the dish and also substituted whole wheat pasta for the linguini that the recipe called for. I gotta watch my girlish figure.
SHRIMP SCAMPI RECIPE
*From Closet Cooking*

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
4 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 pound shrimp (shelled and deveined)
1/4 cup white wine
1 lemon (juice and zest)
1 tablespoon butter
1 pound pasta (cooked)
1 tablespoon parsley (chopped, optional)
1 tablespoon parmigiano reggiano (grated, optional)

Directions:
1. Heat the oil and melt the butter in a pan.
2. Add the chili flakes and garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
3. Add the shrimp and saute until cooked, about 1-3 minutes per side.
4. Remove the shrimp from the pan.
5. Add the wine and lemon juice and bring to a boil.
6. Simmer the liquid until reduced by about half, about 3-5 minutes.
7. Add the butter, wait for it to melt and turn off the heat.
8. Add the shrimp, pasta and parsley and toss to coat.
9. Serve with a garnish of parmigiano reggiano if you wish
I plated the Shrimp Scampi on my brand new Bernardaud, Porcelaines de Limoges bowls that I got for my birthday. I really love beautiful tableware... god, I sound old... but I really do. Gorgeous dishes can really make a crappy meal look wonderful and vice versa.
I fell in love with Bernardaud porcelain a few years ago when I visited the wine bar in Paris owned by my father-in-law. He insists on having only the best dishes to serve his restaurants food, and these are the dishes they use at his place. If you live in Paris, or are visiting Paris you must visit Vinos. It's an elegant wine bar with rare wines and delectable French-Japanese fusion food.

Vinos
29 rue d'Argenteuil
75001 Paris
Phone 01 42 97 52 43
Métro 7, 14 station Pyramides
*please forgive my shameless family advertising*

14 comments:

Ginny said...

I was also lusting after Kevin's Scampi...haha! now yours is also winking at me...I guess it will be my turn soon!

UKLA said...

Capt. Pink, make me some shrimp scampi...haha lazy

Capt. Pink said...

Can I get a plate?

Dhanggit said...

i've been fantasizing on this recipe too since I saw on Kevin's blog!! yummy!!

btw, i love miss saigon!!i saw the original play in Philippines way as a present from my sister! i loved it your friend must be a great singer!!

giz said...

I just found your blog - really lovely. How pathetic that it's 7 a.m. and I'm craving shrimp now. You're right - it does look restaurant quality and the green of the asparagus just tops it off.

Prudy said...

Beautiful photos-I love your blog already. I'm a serious scampi lover; the stuff is ambrosia to me.

Magnolia Wedding Planner said...

Good morning dear!
this recipe is really fantastic like stunning is that porcelain!!
Great!
Thanks
Silvia

That Girl said...

Next time I'm in Paris I promise we'll stop by ;-)

Patsyk said...

Ok, between you and Kevin I am craving shrimp scampi now! Your picture is mouth-watering!

Cynthia said...

I looooove shrimp any-which-way and Kevin is a fantastic cook!

Kevin said...

Your shrimp scampi looks great! I like the addition of the asparagus and the whole wheat pasta was a good call. I like to use whole wheat pasta when I can as well but I have not been able to find the whole wheat linguini yet.

RecipeGirl said...

Isn't Kevin great? That guy cooks up something different every single night. I don't know how he does it.

The scampi looks wonderful (as do the dishes!)

Mochachocolata Rita said...

i am a big fan of kevin's closet cooking too! hehehe your scampi pasta looks good too!

Elle said...

Beautiful! I'm craving shrimp--it's everywhere!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin