Thursday, May 15, 2008

Zankou Chicken

I don't eat out very often but I ate out 3 times today. I guess it's just one of those days where the kitchen gets no lovin'. For dinner, we went to Zankou Chicken. I'm not quite sure what kind of cuisine it is... it's like Armenian/Mediterranean/Lebanese food. Who cares what kind of food it is... 'cause its really good! My hubby and I first discovered Zankou Chicken in West LA. We would eat there at least once a week while living in LA and were ecstatic when we found one nearby in Anaheim. This restaurant is located in an unremarkable strip mall and screams 1970's with it's un-updated interior.
This place is like a Middle Eastern fast food joint. You order from a neon menu on the wall behind the cash register. Just like McDonalds, you choose the # with the picture of the meal you want to eat. Just like McDonalds, everything tastes sooo good while you're eating it but you feel a little nauseous after you do... I suspect this has something to do with the OVERWHELMINGLY delicious and garlic-y Lebanese style garlic paste they smear onto the wraps. Don't get me wrong, I freakin' love the garlic sauce here... but I'm sure that one tablespoon of that stuff has like 20cloves of garlic in it. Just don't plan on a make out session after you eat here...The specialty here is rotisserie chicken but I always order the tarna wrap, which is flavorful and juicy dark meat chicken with tomatoes and garlic paste wrapped in a pita. Everything here is seasoned very well and the chicken is a must try.
These pickles always come free with any meal and compliment the food very well. The hot pink pickles are made of turnips and are called mekhallel in Armenian. Thank god for discovering this location close to us~


Zankou Chicken
2424 W Ball Rd.
Anaheim, CA 92804
(714) 229-2060

10 comments:

Heather said...

"Just don't plan on a make out session after you eat here..." haha that reminds me of last week's 30 Rock: "It's a guaranteed disaster, like eating a burrito right before sex."

Magnolia Wedding Planner said...

Good morning Lina!
Wow you have a variety of choise that we can only dream!
I send you a hug
Silvia

Jan said...

The tarna wrap looks good!

Dhanggit said...

like you and your hubby, we dont have much occasion to eat outside too :-) coz we always end up with bad experience in the restaurant our palates have gone too gastronomic hehehe i guess so..by the way tha Tarna wrap looks so delicious..im craving to try this recipe :-)

btw, thanks for the nice comment im glad too to discover your blog..i'll add you up in my blogroll links i'll regularly visit kisses

Kimberly said...

Hahah funny that you say Nana looks like an alien. My brother and Johnny think Palmer looks like a rat with his short haircut! Hahaha.

tigerfish said...

The pickles look so exotic to me.
The tarna wrap looks good. I will eat out too!

taste memory said...

I love those hot pink turnip pickles ~ thanks for sharing and had forgetten what they were called!

Great blog about food finds in SoCal....

Elle said...

Two words I never thought I'd say:

pretty pickles!

lovecokate said...

i love love this type of food.. lebanese/middle eastern/medditeranean.. soooo good. there's a bunch of good places like these on 2nd street in the LBC too.

Antonio Tahhan said...

shawerma's are incredible!!
this place seems pretty authentic if they serve the pickled turnips with the meal - so yummy!
my randomness: mekhallel is Arabic for "pickled," it comes from the work "khal", which means vinegar in Arabic and adding the me- prefix just means done/made in that style... so mekhallel means done by vinegar, i.e. pickled : )

Blog Widget by LinkWithin