Friday, June 6, 2008

Afternoon Tea in Glasgow

Today was our first day in Glasgow, Scotland. Glasgow is the largest city in Scotland with a population of about 590,000 people. It is a bustling city that reminds me a lot of New York City.My ancestors (on my dads side) are Scottish and my Granny was Glaswegian. My middle name is McEwan! I think that it's really neat that I'm getting a chance to explore a city where I have roots.We visited the Glasgow Cathedral. Parts of the film of Dan Brown's best-seller The Da Vinci Code were shot here.

We also visited the St. Mungo Museum of Religious Art, and the Provands Lordship (the oldest house in Glasgow built in the 1400's).
We even had authentic Scottish afternoon tea at the famous Willow Tea Rooms today. This stunning tea room in Glasgow was designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh in 1904. Mackintosh was a leading Scottish architect and popular Art Nouveau artist of the early 19th Century. The interior of the tea room was unique, and the the chocolate fudge cake was delicious. When in Britain you have to have afternoon tea!
THE WILLOW TEA ROOM
217 Sauchiehall St.
G2 3EX
Glasgow, Scotland
Tel: 0141 332 0521

3 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Scotland + chocolate fudge = double pleasure :0)

Sophie said...

I looove tea; not much of a coffee fan, I'm more of a tea fanatic. I would've gone crazy there :D.

vermichelli said...

omg that looks fudgelicious!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin