Tuesday, June 10, 2008

"French" Fries

French fries are the bomb. When in Brugge, we came across this French fry (or friet) museum and could not resist the temptation to go in. I have always wondered where French fries got their name. I figured that they probably started off in France... but I learned some really valuable information today. Fries are of Belgian origin. No wonder why I see fry shops and stands all over Belgium.
So why the name "French" fries? From my educational trip to the frit museum, I learned that this expression appears to have come into use during the First World War. Some French speaking Belgian soldiers are said to have offered some fries to the American soldiers. The American soldiers thought the Belgian soldiers were French, hence the origin of the name "French fries."
The story of the beginning of fries goes: the winters were cold in Belgium and in the 1750's when the weather was extremely harsh the rivers were frozen and the people couldn't fish for food. So... they decided to cut potatoes into slices to resemble small fish and fry them. And a legend was born.
The fries in Belgium are soooo good! We've been eating fries non-stop since arriving. They have a great variety of sauces to dip them in too. yum!

3 comments:

That Girl said...

I feel so much smarter now!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

I actually knew that allready but would love to go to that museum since french fries are on of my favourite things to eat!

Elle said...

Thank God for the Belgians! What would life be without fries??

Blog Widget by LinkWithin