Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Hungry in Hungary

We have been staying in Budapest, Hungary for the past 2 nights. It is so hot right now! A big change from the cold weather we were experiencing in Portugal just a month ago. I wanted to try some traditional Hungarian food so we went to Café Kör for lunch yesterday. To cool ourselves down we tried Hideg Szamocaleves (Cold Strawberry Soup) as an appetizer at lunch time. It was very refreshing and tasted like a soupy strawberry smoothie.

I decided to try out the Rakott Kel (Layered Savoy Cabbage). It tasted like a "rolled cabbage" dish that my mom sometimes makes us for dinner. It is a dish made by cooking the cabbage leaves in salty water, layering them with cooked rice and ground meat flavored with paprika, pouring sour cream on top and baking it in the oven. It was topped off with a glob of sour cream and it was really good!
Hubby tried the Hungarian Veal Paprikash. (He always waits so patiently as I take pictures of his food, haha!) This is a classic Hungarian dish with pasta-like noodles in a thick sour cream and paprika sauce.
We also had a typical Hungarian Cucumber Salad called Uborka Salta. It tastes like Japanese tsukemono and is sprinkled with some spicy paprika.
For dessert we had Gundel palacsinta, which is a traditional Hungarian dessert of crepes stuffed with ground walnuts covered in chocolate sauce. It was very, very good. I love how it was a different twist on the typical French style crepes I've had. After lunch, we went to visit Szechenyi Thermal baths of Budapest.
It was so relaxing and so much fun!Café Kör
1051 Budapest,
Sas u. 17.
Tel: 311-0053

10 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

The cold strawberry soup and the crepes have my name written alllllll over them ;0)

Wow, Budapest is even MORE gorgeous than I already thought it was!!

Peter M said...

Lina, glad you're enjoying Budapest. I too have fond memories of the city...reminded me a bit of Paris.

That Girl said...

Budapest is one of those places I've always wanted to visit, but ran out of time. According to your pictures, its gorgeous!

California Girl said...

OK, your trip is out of this world amazing. Such incredible destinations!

My family is Hungarian and I love the grub. Haven't made it over to Hungary yet though :)

vermichelli said...

I could use some of that watermelon soup right now!!! It is so hot in LA! That bathe house looks AWESOME. did you guys go in?! I am sooo jealous!

nita said...

the layers cabbage dish looks delicious and i think ive eaten the pasta dish before...also yummy!!!

what other cities do you still have left on your trip?

Dhanggit said...

i love the title :-) sounds a great city to be...judging this array of food you enjoyed :-)

nita said...

btw. did you any good and authentic goulasch?

Clumbsy Cookie said...

I've been in Budapest last year and I loved the city. They have great pastries made with cottage cheese and poppy seeds, I hope you get to taste those!

Vicarious Foodie said...

Beautiful! The food especially looks so interesting and delicious. Wish I was there!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin