Sunday, June 8, 2008

I Have Died and Gone to Chocolate Heaven

Early this morning, we said goodbye to Scotland and hello to Belgium.We are staying in a city called Brugge and I feel like I am in a fairytale land.

The city is beautiful. The charming buildings are centuries old, and the city is surrounded by canals (much like Venice) with swans and small boats. Even some of the locals look like characters straight out of the books. There are cute little parks here and there with lush vegitation... and did I mention that there are at least 3 chocolate shops on each block? Pinch me because I must be dreaming. Anyone that knows me, knows that I am a sucker for sweets... especially chocolate. The chocolate here in Belgium is serious stuff. None of that fake Nestle or Hersheys stuff.
After some extensive research online, I came to the conclusion that Dumon is the best chocolate shop in Brugge...which makes the best chocolate in Belgium...which (arguably) makes the best chocolate in the world! Dumon chocolates are rare because they are produced with FRESH ingredients with no additives to preserve the product or alter the taste. Just looking at this chocolate shop from the outside, I knew they had some really good stuff inside.
I felt like a kid in a candystore...I was a kid in a candystore. The precious gems were beautifully displayed behind a glass case. As I carefully chose my chocolates, the shopkeeper used her dainty gloved hands to place each chocolate in a chocolate colored box for me. Unwrapping the box was the most exciting part. My enthusiasm would fool anyone to think that it was full of diamonds and gold.Words cannot describe the deliciousness of these chocolates so I'll let you use your imagination.
I have seriously fallen in love with this city. Of all of the places I've been in Europe, Brugge might be my favorite place so far. (And I'm not just saying that because of the chocolate).
DUMON CHOCOLATIER
Eiermarkt
68000 Brugge, Belgium
Tel: 32 (0)50 34 62 82

10 comments:

vermichelli said...

OMG WHAT IS THAT LITTLE strawberry one on the left?? im drooling

Clumbsy Cookie said...

I'm just thinking about places to go on vacation. After seeing this I might go to Belgium. And I'm not just saying that because of the chocolate. Noooooooo.

Capt. Pink said...

dumon sounds like kumon. i wish i could eat chocolate. .

Kimberly said...

Sounds like you're having SOOO much fun, Lina! ... and omg, I am so jealous of that chocolate! See you when you get back.

Kim, Johnny, Palmer

Elle said...

I'm insanely jealous of your trip and your chocolate. You must be having a blast!

Mrs. L said...

YUMMMMMM. i loooooove chocolate!!!

Dhanggit said...

oh my goodness, these are all mouth watering ; your travel and these bunch of chocolates!! thanks dear for sharing.;we'll be waiting for belgium post :-)

That Girl said...

Thank you for taking us with you on your trip to Heaven, or as I will now affectionately start calling it "The next place I must must must go"

nita said...

i've added some of your food blog links to my fave food links! i keep lookin at them at work and i get sooooo hungry

milkrobot said...

Bring me some of these chocolates, pleeeeease

Blog Widget by LinkWithin