Friday, June 20, 2008

A Turkish Experience

I don't know how authentic of a Turkish experience it is... but the other night hubby and I went to go watch a Turkish folk dance and belly dance show. It's more of a tourist trap, but we had a lot of fun. The belly dancers were beautiful and made me want to try my hand at belly dancing... but I won't be belly dancing any time soon with the gut I'm growing on this vacation. haha.
Drinking Turkish tea (çay), on the other hand is a truly authentic Turkish experience. Everywhere you go you see people with tiny glass cups in their hands, swirling their spoon and sipping this type of black tea. You drink the tea with cubes of sweet beetroot sugar. I love the delicate little glass cups that show the glimmering color the tea.Turkish tea is typically prepared using two stacked kettles (çaydanlık) especially designed for tea preparation. Water is brought to a boil in the larger lower kettle and then some of the water is used to fill the smaller kettle on top and steep several spoons of loose tea leaves, producing a very strong tea. I saw this man selling tea at the Grand Bazaar the other day. The tea salesman carries this huge silver tea caddy on his back and bends forward, holding a hose until the teacup is filled.I want to take a Turkish tea set back home but I'm afraid it would break because we still have close to 2 weeks left of travels...

3 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

I love belly-dancing :0) Those photographs are phenomenal, as usual!!

That Girl said...

What about shipping it back?

nita said...

The tea kettle looks awesome! How did it taste?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin