Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Chawan-Mushi

My mom is a great cook. Her Japanese homemade meals are always healthy and heart warming.
Mom made miso glazed fish and chawan-mushi for dinner the other night. In English, chawan-mushi literally means "steamed in a tea cup". Chawan-mushi is a delicious Japanese savory egg custard dish that most often eaten as an appetizer. It could be served hot or cold. It takes some skill to perfectly steam the chawan-mushi. If it is steamed too long the chawan-mushi becomes spongy and loses flavor and attractiveness. If you steam it too little it would come out watery and ugly. I have yet to master the skill of the Chawan-mushi.

CHAWAN MUSHI RECIPE
(makes 4 cups)
Ingredients:
3 eggs
500cc dashi
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
50 g sasami chicken meat
4shrimps
4 slices of kamaboko
half stalk of mitsuba (trefoil leaves)

Directions:
1. Break 3 eggs add dashi, salt, and soy sauce as you stir.
3. Throw the chicken and shrimp pieces in 4 individual tea cup sized cups.
2. Divide and pour the egg mixture equally into each cup.
4. Place kamaboko slice into each cup.
5. Fill a double-boiler pan (mushiki) half full with water.
6. When water comes to a boil, place the cups and steam.
7. Heat 1-2 minutes on a strong fire, reduce heat and cook for an additional 12-15 minutes.
8. When the chawan-mushi is firm and clear liquid rises it is ready!
9. Garnish each cup with mitsuba.

13 comments:

nita said...

yummmmm! when are you coming to LA!

VeggieGirl said...

It's always fun making a dish that Mom makes :0)

That Girl said...

I love the fact that it's made in a teacup. There's something so cute about eating right out of the cooking vessel.

Fifi Flowers said...

Yum... I'm on the food circuit tonight reading about wonderful recipes.

Mochachocolata Rita said...

gorgeous chawan mushi! ^_^ it is challenging for me to steam eggs...gotta practice more! hehe

::Christine:: said...

Looks soooo tasty and too beautiful to eat. =)

Sophie said...

What a cool egg custard :). Mommy and grandma food, I've found, are always the best. It's all that lovin' they put in there! :)

Kevin said...

That chawan mushi looks good. I have been wanting to try it for a while now.

daphne said...

I agree with u on the oversteaming bit.. I made that mistake far too many times!

Dee said...

Hey, I just made this recently, along with a teapot soup. Yum! What's sasami chicken, by the way?

nita said...

what?! no update? booo!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

You allways have the nicest food here Lina! I've left you an award in my blog, go and pick it up!

Taste said...

Ooh I love chawan mushi. My mum's Japanese friend would always make it for us. Thanks for the recipe, I'm definitely trying this out myself.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin