Thursday, July 17, 2008

Nectarine Madness

We've always had this nectarine tree in our backyard but this year is the first time there's been so much fruit on the tree! Not only are there hundreds of nectarines but they are huge and juicy!
My family members are not the only ones enjoying these fruits... the dogs are crazy for them! We've caught Xabi jumping up to pick the nectarines and he eats dozens at a time. Just look at that picture of him! He looks so guilty stealing the nectarines off the tree! haha.
Sometimes Xabi will go missing for a while and we would catch him over by the nectarine tree. Last year my parents even had to take him to the emergency vet because he was violently puking after hoarding nectarines in the backyard.
Zion was even having fun frolicking under the tree. By the way... hasn't he grown so much!?
Hubby and I decided to go nectarine picking before the dogs got to them all. We had so many nectarines that we couldn't possibly eat them all! So I decided to take on the challenge of making nectarine jam. It seemed the best solution for using up the most nectarines and not wasting them.
HOMEMADE ORGANIC NECTARINE JAM

Ingredients:
8 cups chopped organic nectarines (do not peel)
1.5 cups organic sugar
4 tablespoons fresh organic lemon juice

Directions:
1. Cook all ingredients at a very mild boil for 30-minutes.
2. Skim foam off surface.
3. Ladle into sterilized jars.
4. Process jars in boiling water bath for 10-mins.

Making jam seemed like an intimidating task but it was surprisingly easy. I decided to use all organic ingredients since the nectarines were naturally organic. I didn't want to ruin the pureness with processed and bleached sugar. The jam turned out a pretty rose color and tasted perfectly juicy. I was even able to make 6 jars to hand out to my friends. Hope everyone likes it!

8 comments:

milkrobot said...

Wow I've never seen that tree so full.

nita said...

dman! awesome!!!! your dogs are so cute.

VeggieGirl said...

You're SOOOOO lucky to have a nectarine tree - yum!! And that jam recipe sounds so scrumptious.

That Girl said...

I just picked up mango nectarines at the market this week - I'm so excited to try them!

Bunny said...

i would love to have that tree in my backyard, i love nectarines! i bet that jam is perfect, i've never made jam before and would love to try my hand at it.

daphne said...

Home made nectarine jam- that sounds amazingly delicious!! How lovely is it to have it from the tree in your backyard!

Sophie said...

Hehe, your little doggy does look like he has a guilty expression for stealing that piece of fruit...oh, but I couldn't resist either...unless I knew you were going to be making homemade jam with it!

Ari (Baking and Books) said...

You are SO LUCKY to have a nectarine tree!! Your pooches too, what a healthy, delicious treat for them. :)


Ari (Baking and Books)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin