Friday, July 4, 2008

The Quest for the Best Apple Strudel on Earth

After Budapest, we took the train over to Prague in Czech. I don't know about you but I am a big fan of Samantha Brown and have TIVOed every episode of her show "Passport to Europe." On one of the episodes Samantha Brown visits Prague and she visits a small bakery called Susta Strudl that makes some of the biggest and tastiest apple strudels in the world. Samantha made the apple strudel look sooo good that I had to seek this place out for myself!

After some extensive research online to see exactly where this strudel bakery was, we headed off on a quest to find the best apple strudel in Europe. Samantha Brown wasn't kidding when she said that this place was a little bit off the beaten path. Susta Strudl was is in Zizkov, a largely residential area east of downtown Prague. We traveled for roughly 45 minutes by tram and train to find this place. No tourists in sight and nobody seems to speak English in the area. You would think that there wouldn't be any bakeries or restaurants around this quiet residential area with tall apartment complexes. When... we found it!
Susta Strudl appears to be just a window out the front of a apartment residence. They only have 3 things on their menu: apple strudel, poppy seed strudel and cheese strudel. Needless to say, we went for the apple!
This GIGANTIC apple strudel is bigger than a foot long and is heavier than my arm but it only costs about 39 kc (about $2.60). It comes fresh out of the oven, sprinkled with powdered sugar, and fully gift wrapped too!
Check that sucker out!
Jam packed with fresh baked apples, cinnamon, and sugar. Hubby and I couldn't finish the whole thing in one sitting even between the two of us. We ate and ate, but it was never ending! Truly it was the most magnificent apple strudel that I have ever seen or tasted.

SUSTA STRUDL
Jeseniova 29,
Prague 3, Czech
Tel: (420) 222-590-912

7 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

My family and I LOVE watching "Passport to Europe"!!!! Samantha Brown would be such a fun tour guide :0)

Ahh, strudel - divine!

Sophie said...

I've actually seen that episode :)!

...and this does look like the best strudel. I love how this place is located in such an unexpected & nearly-secluded spot :D.

Kimberly said...

That strudel just looks divine! ... and topped with powdered suger? What more could you want?

fumipuriri said...

that looks sooo yummy!!! :P

Clumbsy Cookie said...

That looks dangerously good! So funny that you traveled that far to eat it, I can see myself doing the same thing!

Josh Leo said...

the journey there is half the fun! seeing the familiar orange door is fun. My wife and I did the same thing and made a video about it: http://vimeo.com/15804670

traveler said...

All the directions to the strudel shop are correct. When taking the train it is at least an hour round trip from the city center. But be aware it is a small privately owned shop at the bottom of an apartment complex, and the single owner will open and close at any time. My wife and I took half a day dedicated to this place, just to find out that he closed the shop in the middle of the week and the middle of the day. One of the locals read the sign to us and it said that MAYBE he would open later in the day. Don't go if you're short on time, it was a huge disappointment.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin