Thursday, July 31, 2008

Shabu-Shabu

Mãe & the sister-in-law are visiting from Portugal right now. The in-laws love to eat out so we have been eating at lots of wonderful Japanese restaurants for the past week or so. The sister is a HUUUGE fan of yakiniku and shabu shabu. She's a meat eater just like hubby... so we went to one of the local shabu shabu spots on Sawtelle, Mizu 212.
The restaurant has a hip interior with tall bars all along the walls.
Each seat has its own individual hot pot. Shabu shabu is especially fun when you have it with a big group of people. Shabu shabu is a very popular style of cooking in Japan. It is basically thin slices of meat (beef or pork) and vegetables boiled in stock. I would compare Shabu shabu to fondue. You dip one piece at a time in the boiling pot and dip it in your choice of sauce. Most of the time the choices are Ponzu sauce and sesame sauce. yum~
MIZU 212
2000 Sawtelle Blvd.,
Los Angeles, CA 90025
Tel: (310) 478-8979

14 comments:

Emiline said...

I want shabu-shabu! I've never tried it before. So the meat and veg are cooked in stock? I guess that's healthier than frying in oil.

VeggieGirl said...

Looove Japanese cuisine.

Kitt said...

Delicious! Much like Chinese hotpot (Mongolian, not Sichuan).

nita said...

i have yet to go...everytime we're at sawtelle we head straight to tofuya!

Mochachocolata Rita said...

cant wait for winter for hotpots (japanese, korean, chinese, any hotpots ^_^)

Clumbsy Cookie said...

I once watched Jamie Oliver do shabu-shabu and was very curious. Hope your in-laws are having fun, tell them it's very hot here in Portugal now ;)

That Girl said...

I can't blame sister - I adore shabu shabu!

vermichelli said...

why would you eat there when tofu is down the street!! you crazy lina!

Valentina said...

Funky place. i loved the stools. i have had one of those meals before - definitely great to have with a group of people.

::Christine:: said...

Yum! I love Shabu-Shabu!

Jacque said...

What a great looking restaurant and the food looks terrific! Great pictures and thanks for sharing.

don't make me over said...

Hi Lina! I´m Andrew and I´m friends with Christine, Michelle, and Nita. I love reading your blog so I wanted to leave a message so that you know you have another fan out there! =D Would love to swap food stories sometime! Yum!

Paz said...

Looks like a fun place in which to eat.

Paz

Kevin said...

That shabu shabu looks good. I have been wanting to try shabu shabu for a while.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin