Thursday, August 21, 2008

Japanese Comfort Food

If I had to choose 1 last meal... it would probably be karaage: Japanese style deep fried chicken nuggets. I friggin' love fried chicken. Karaage is so crispy and when you bite into it, you get all of those yummy juicy flavors bursting in your mouth. I would make it everyday if I weren't so terrified of frying. I hate making fried foods because the hot oil always seems to pop and land on me! The daring efforts are always paid off with a meal of my all time favorite dish. The secret ingredient in our karaage is chili peppers to give it that extra kick! yummm0-!

KARAAGE RECIPE
Ingredients:
1 pound boneless chicken leg meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
2 large garlic cloves, peeled and grated
1 tbsp chili peppers
salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 tablespoons potato flour (starch)
vegetable oil, for deep frying
sliced lemon, to garnish

Directions:
1. Marinate the chicken with the soy sauce, ginger, garlic, chili peppers, salt and pepper for about 30 minutes.
2. Take each piece of chicken from the marinade and roll in the potato flour mixture until completely coated.
3. Heat the oil till it's bubbling and deep-fry the chicken pieces for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown.
4. Garnish with the sliced lemon and serve on a bed of salad leaves.

12 comments:

maybelle's mom said...

totally heaven. during my time in japan, this was one of my favs.

fumipuriri said...

uwaa now i'm craving karaage!!

milkrobot said...

Chili peppers? That must be new. I can't wait to go home in a week and eat well! I've been eating McDonald's and cup ramen everyday for the last month..

Clumbsy Cookie said...

What a resposability for a meal to be the one chosen as your last one! From the ingredients they sound just wonderful! Have you tryed to bake them in the oven? Well I know nothing beat fried food, but I bet they'd still be tasty!

Gloria (Canela) said...

I love Japanese Food and this look sooo yummy!!!!! xxGloria

Adam said...

I think I agree with a nice fried meal as my last meal. I'm gonna go with Fried Ice Cream.

You really have a knack for cooking Asian food. Where did you get all your cool chops and tricks?

nita said...

your fried chicken looks freaking good and im super 100% better that Kycho Chon

::Christine:: said...

I've had karaage before but yours looks a lot better! YUUUUM!

Dawn said...

I love how potato flour really puts it all together in a lot of dishes. I'm not a big fan of dark chicken meat, but I could use white meat right?

That Girl said...

I've never heard of this, but I'm not as familiar with Japanese cuisine. I'm going to have to find a good place to try it!

Bentoist said...

Yum, that looks do-able. I'll give it a try soon. Thanks for sharing!

Mochachocolata Rita said...

gosh karaage is my favorite!!! i cant get enough of them! :)

the thought of having to deep fry them at home is the only thing stopping me from eating them every day hehe

Blog Widget by LinkWithin