Thursday, August 14, 2008

Mom's French Country Beef Stew

I must say that I am not a big fan of beef. I prefer chicken, fish, & pork over beef and pretty much avoid beef for the most part. BUT my mom's French style beef stew is an exception. It's simply, the bomb.

MOM'S FRENCH COUNTRY BEEF STEW RECIPE
Ingredients:
1 bottle of Pinot Noir
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 pounds beef shank (cut into bite size pieces)
1/2 cup flour
1 cup of baby carrots
1 cup of sliced onions

Directions:
1. Lightly coat the veggies and beef with flour.
2. Heat olive oil in a 4 quart crock pot over medium-high heat. Add vegetables and cook until they are softened and lightly browned.
3. Add the beef and slightly saute.
4. Add the ENTIRE bottle of red wine to the mixture and bring to a boil.
2. Put the lid on and cook until the beef is falling-apart tender when prodded with a fork. (6 to 7 hours)

This beef stew is a variation of the classic French Beef Bourguignon. My mom found the recipe when she was watching a Japanese travel show about the French countryside and made this dish... but she didn't remember the exact recipe so this is kind of my mom's own version of the stew. This dish is easy and doesn't require very many ingredients but the outcome is a fragrant stew with soft juicy meat.

14 comments:

nita said...

yyummmmm it looks delicoius!!!

Adam said...

Awesome recipe Lina. I can so picture using this in a slow cooker in the morning, and by the time dinner comes around... BAM, good times.

Pinot is one of my fav reds, and I think it you did a great job pairing it with the beef :)

Gloria (Canela) said...

Love this Lina,xxxGloria

vermichelli said...

OMG BEEF STEW IS ONE OF MY FAEV FOODS!! isnt it kinda hot for stew?!!

Cate said...

Looks like perfect tummy-warming food.

Leslie said...

My goodness...what stew cant be good with a WHOLE bottle of wine!!!!

That Girl said...

It looks so easy too!

Jenny said...

What a great blog you have! Just came across you and so glad I did. I'll be back often to visit!

Picky Palate

Bridgett said...

Wow, Lina! This must be the richest stew I have seen in a long time. Just the way I like it. Now I have a recipe for those beef shanks sitting in the freezer!

Dawn said...

Oh yeah a whole bottle of red. Love it. Just like Emeril says as he's pouring a whole bottle of wine in a pot "oh yeah babe"! Ha ha!
I'll have to save this recipe for chilly Fall days, perfect.

Snooky doodle said...

this looks great. been looking for a recipe like this. Have to try it sometime :-)

Garrett said...

Beef stews are always a big hit, and I love that you've added wine to the party. Crock pots are definitely a wonderful invention.

Cakelaw said...

This sounds delicious - and I love the fact that it contains a bottle of my current favourite red, Pinot Noir.

Mochachocolata Rita said...

wawwww havent tried cooking beef this way.

i'll give this a try! ;)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin