Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Nectarine Madness Contiunes...

With the last remaining nectarines on our tree, I decided to make a nectarine pie. This is my second attempt at making pie and still did not trust myself to prepare the dough from scratch, so I decided to use the Trader Joe's pre-made pie crust dough.
The nectarines growing on our backyard tree are unbelievably juicy and sweet so I didn't need to add too much sugar. Adjusting the top crust of the pie was the biggest challenge for me. Although this pie won't be winning any beauty contests, the taste was great! My dad especially loved it and even had a huge second slice. He said it tasted a lot like rhubarb pie with the tartness. I never really thought to put nectarines in a pie since I've never even tasted a nectarine pie before. If you never have either, you must try!
NECTARINE PIE RECIPE
Ingredients:
1 box of pre-made pie crust dough
1/3 cup white flour
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
3 tsp lemon juice
10 medium sized sliced fresh nectarines
Pastry for 9" double crust pie
1 egg white

Directions:
1. In a large bowl combine the 1/4 cup of sugar, brown sugar, nutmeg, flour, and lemon juice.
2. Mix well then toss with the sliced nectarines.
3. Mound fruit into pastry lined 9 inch pie plate.
4. Adjust top crust. Seal and flute edges.
5. Brush pastry with the beaten egg white; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar. 6. Cut slits in top.
7. Bake in 375 degree oven for 30 minutes.
8. Remove the pie and bake 20-25 minutes more or until the crust is golden.
9. Let it cool before serving & eat!

13 comments:

That Girl said...

We are so on the same wavelength! I'm making nectarine tarts for our anniversary dinner.

nita said...

omg look at that pie crust!! and the yummy nectarines!

Valentina said...

Loved this pie. I have never had nectarine pie before but I will most certainly give it a go.

vermichelli said...

can u give me some nectarines? are they sweet or tart? i usually get the white ones cuase they are sooo sweet! yumm!! lets have a baking contest one day!!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Lucky you for having a nectarine tree! Your pie looks so delicious!!! I'm sure you'll do great when you decide to do a pie crust from scratch!

Adam said...

You have a nectarine tree? Wow, I've never known anyone to have one of those before. I wish I was in CA now :)

Your pie looks great. I love how you described the tartness, which would be great with a buttery crust.

SIG said...

You have a lovely blog. Enjoy reading it. :)

VeggieGirl said...

I cannot believe that I have never eaten (or made) a slice of nectarine pie - ahh, you've made me want some now! :0D

Sophie said...

I'm so jealous that you used nectarines from YOUR tree! Talk about a fresh pie :). The crust looks golden and delicious!

Lisa said...

Looks delicious! I would love to have a nectarine tree. I didn't know TJ's sold pie crust. I will have to look for some.

Manggy said...

Whaddya mean not winning any beauty contests? It looks darn near perfect from where I'm sittin'! :)

Kevin said...

That looks so good! I have to try a nectarine pie now.

Gloria said...

This look absolutely nice and yummy Love peach or nectarine's pie. I reserve this recipe to Summer, come soon!! xGloria

Blog Widget by LinkWithin