Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Spaghetti Carbonara...What's Your Song?

Most couples have "songs". Songs that remind them of the memories they have together. Well, hubby and I don't really have a tune that makes us shout "Oh! This is our song!" when it suddenly plays on the radio. We have dishes.
If we had to choose one dish, it would be Tonkatsu. Whenever I make tonkatsu for dinner or we have it at a restaurant we get nostalgic.
"Remember that time when I made you tonkatsu? It was the first dish I ever cooked for you!" And we would start to get into how we were when we were younger and first started dating.
Another one of our "songs" would be Sphagetti Carbonara, hubby's all time favorite pasta dish. When I was studying abroad in Japan, one of the first places he took me on a date in Tokyo was his favorite pasta restaurant (Al Dente) where they serve his favorite Carbonara. I've attempted to remake that carbonara pasta a few times and have failed at it... but yesterday I gave it another try and I think it came pretty close to it!
SPAGHETTI CARBONARA RECIPE
Ingredients:
2 pieces of Garlic
3 pieces of bacon
1 cup of heavy cream
1 cup of whole milk
2 egg yolks
salt and pepper to taste
Parmesan Cheese to taste

Directions:
1. Boil the Spaghetti in a big pot while you are preparing the other ingredients.
2. Chop the garlic and cut the bacon into small 1/2 inch pieces.
3. Saute the garlic and bacon on frying pan with olive oil.
4. In a separate bowl beat the egg yolks and mix in the cream, milk, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
5. Once the spaghetti is boiled and al dente, throw the spaghetti in to the bowl with the cream mixture. (The heat of the pasta will cook the raw eggs.)
6. Toss well and add the bacon & garlic into the mixture.

This is more of a Japanese style Carbonara and it is very delicious. Next time I think I will add more bacon!

Do you and your lover have a "song" too?

13 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

It's always fun reminiscing about favorite dishes and songs :0)

That Girl said...

Yay! So would you say you mastered it?

For the hubs and I tiramisu will always bring us back to our second dating anniversary (second? third? ehh, one of the early ones) when I surprised him with a trip to Calistoga. We had dinner at an Italian restaurant, Boskos. The dinner wasn't memorable, but he still talks about the Tiramisu.

Clumbsy Cookie said...

That's cute that you have dishes instead of songs! I don't know about that restautant carbonara but let me tell you, yours looks great to me! And... What is tonkatsu? I don't think I've ever heared that "song"!

Cynthia said...

Hope it's not too late to wish you a happy anniversary and you and the hubby sing your song of spaghetti carbonara.

Bridgett said...

Spaghetti carbonara is just delicious and yours looks like it would win anyone's heart. I always add more pancetta than what is called for, so I bet when you try next time with more bacon you will love it.

Sophie said...

I love the idea of having dishes as songs! That is so adorable, and so much more unique than just having an actual 'song' :P. My hubby and I have a dessert...our first Valentine's Day together, he literally spent hours baking me a red velvet cake from scratch, it was so beautiful!

Mochachocolata Rita said...

oh how sweet! first dish i've ever cooked for sc was spaghetti bolognaise-indonesian adaptation, but i cant say that's "our food"...and i am so worried that the answer to "what's your song?" might be black eyed peas' "shut up" or "let's get retarded" LOL

Kevin said...

Carbonara is one of my favorites and this looks good!

Dee said...

you have your dishes, that's really cute :) looks gorgeous!

nita said...

you guys are so cute! i lub you guys!

Victoria said...

First of all, happy anniversary. Looks like you guys are having a blast.

I had tried a number of spaghetti carbonara recipes with no success until I made the recipe out of The Zuni Cafe Cookbook. It's definitely wonderful - and a little different as it has ricotta in it, which works very well.

Next time you're in SF, maybe you will try it at Zuni. I would love to see a photo of that.

::Christine:: said...

I want to cook this! I want to eat it right now! =)

::Christine:: said...

AND....you guys are too cute! I love it.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin