Tuesday, September 2, 2008

I Love Ghetto Tacos

I love tacos. I love Mexican food almost as equally as I love Japanese food. I grew up in Southern California so whenever I wasn't eating Japanese food at home I was probably eating Mexican food. Mexican food is everything that Japanese food isn't. It's spicy, it's messy, it's big and it's bold. One of my favorite taco spots in the OC is exactly just that. They have two things on the menu... tacos and burritos. The tacos are only 95 cents and the burritos bigger than your face will feed a whole family for $5.
Your choice of meat is: chicken, asada, al pastor (pork), bbq pork, beef, buche (fried pork stomach), beef tongue, and beef head. Not the typical meat choices you get at Baja Fresh... I have yet to try anything besides the pork and beef.
The cooks prepare everything with their bare hands. When I see the cooks handling my tortilla and shoving the meat into them with their naked hands I cringe a little (and pray that they washed their hands after they took a du*p)... but my dad always says "when it comes to tacos, the dirtier the better." And it's so true. The pastor is a slow roasted pork that sits out on the skewer for who knows how long, but it's my favorite. Two layers of warm corn tortillas topped with man-handled meat, onions and cilantro cut all shapes and sizes, flaming hot salsa, and eaten after you squirt a little lime juice on them. Now that is the perfect taco.Back in the high school days, I would come to Taqueria at 1 in the morning after band practice. The best part about this place that it is open 24 hours. At any time, any day, I can count on Taqueria to fix my dirty taco craving.

Taqueria Mexico
108 W Katella Ave
Orange, CA 92867
Tel: (714) 538-5772

13 comments:

nita said...

i love street tacos at the taqueria! our spot is in La habra! so good.

VeggieGirl said...

Haha, the "Ghetto tacos" made me laugh out loud :0)

Bridgett said...

Those little "hole in the wall" mexican food places are always the best.

Adam said...

Those are some awesome meat choices. I want the BBQ pork one sooo bad :) Oh and good call on Mex and Japanese food being opposites, that's actually pretty funny.

Capt. Pink said...

Hey,
I love this taqueria place too!

That Girl said...

I'm not kidding, Thatboy used to live down the street from this place, I remember many a nights getting a movie and grabbing some burritos to go.

Clumbsy Cookie said...

I would love to go there Lina! Your post really left em craving tacos and missing all my mexican friends!

Elle said...

Seriously, my mouth just started watering. I wish we had one of those here!

Leslie said...

Ghetto Tacos..your funny!
I felt the same way when I was in LA and I ate at Roscoes Chicken And waffles! It was a bit scary..totally ghetto but totally yummy!!
Thanks for your comment on my sons comment..your sweet!

ila said...

what?! you don't like al pastor? t'is my favorite... must try this place next time i'm in orange!

vermichelli said...

lina you know i think i had my first ghetto taco with you in the riv

Sophie said...

lol that's hilarious what your dad says. I'm kind of a cleanliness monster when it comes to food! I'm always so cautious about what I put in my belly, but tastiness always matters most :D.

daniel said...

Hey Lina ,I love your blog "So Cool" I own a tortilla seasoning company and would love to send you a free sample. Our seasoning focuses on the street vendor style tacos. Check out our website www.stvendors.com hope to hear from you.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin