Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Spago, Beverly Hills

It's about time for an update! I've just had so many photos in my camera that I've been spending a lot of time organizing my pics. Okay, nuff' with the excuses and let me share with you my experience at Spago in Beverly Hills.
The Spago Beverly Hills has been a very popular restaurant ever since it opened in 1997. Stepping into this restaurant I felt like I was in a time slip. Everything from the restaurant sign, creepy bronze statue by the entrance, interior, and furniture screamed 1990's! Don't get me wrong, the restaurant was gorgeous and well kept but very 90210...
We sat at a booth near the kitchen but I believe the best spot to sit is in the Garden's romantic patio, shaded by tall pepper trees. Sitting by the kitchen was really neat because I was able to see the chefs working in the kitchen through the big glass windows.
Spago's cuisine is a combination of French, Asian, Californian food. Their wine list is as thick as a bible and their menu is a small novel. While you are deciding what you want to drink or eat, they provide you with limitless amounts of a variety of bread.
I opted for the olive bread and Parmesan lavash bread. They were both really yummy and I kept getting seconds and thirds of the crunchy lavash.For the first course I ordered the sauteed Maryland Crab cake with marinated tomatoes, basil aioli and micro-green salad. The presentation was beautiful and the crab was so juicy. I really enjoyed this dish. Otousan had the marinated Japanese hamachi and tuna sashimi with sticky rice, wasabi, soy-yuzu sauce and pumpkin seed oil. Otousan is quite the sushi connoisseur and wasn't very impressed with this sashimi dish.
For the main course I had the pan-roasted chicken with wild mousseron mushrooms, goat cheese, and yellow finnish potato puree. The chicken was huge! It was bigger than my foot. It was cooked very well with a nice crispy skin, but it was a tad too thick for me. It tasted nice, but I think it's a crime to charge so much (over $30!) for CHICKEN.Otousan had the pan-roasted Alaskan halibut with caramelized corn, wild chanterelle mushrooms, bacon confit, puree of white corn and mascarpone-mushroom emulsion. Again he was not impressed with his dish. I had to agree with otousan that his halibut (although plated beautifully) was bland and flaky. Hubby and sis-in-law had the Prime "cote de boeuf" grilled over charcoal with baby swiss chard, roasted cipollini onions, armagnac-green peppercorn sauce and pommes aligot. This was probably the best dish of the night. The meat was cooked very well and the cheese mashed potatoes that came with the dish were delicious! Hubby and his sister really loved the steak. We were quite full after eating the first course and the main course but we could not go home without trying the dessert at Spago. Sherry Yard is one of the most famous pastry chefs in Los Angeles and she is the pâtissier at this restaurant. Sis-in-law ordered the apple strudel which was pretty tasty... but I still think the apple struel I had in Prague was the best ever.Hubby ordered the cookies and confection plate that included macaroons, brownies, and lots of different little cookies. Although very cute, everything on the plate was mediocre. I'm sad to say that Mrs. Fields cookies at the mall produces better cookies than the ones that were on my hubby's plate. Otousan ordered the peach cobbler and was completely shocked... at how disgusting his plate looked. Just look at the picture for yourself! Does that look like a pricey dessert that would be served at a Michelin 2 star restaurant? My sis-in-law said it looked like chunks of chicken. Even the flavor of this chicken cobbler was questionable.The waitress recommended that I order the kaiserchmarren, a crème fraÎche soufflé pancake with sautéed seascape strawberries so I decided to try it out. I was so looking forward to dessert at Spago but I was severely let down. When my dessert was brought to the table I thought that they brought me something that was half eaten. It was flat out ugly. Look at the photo above... they brought the dessert out to me just like that. I took a bite, and it was mushy, soggy, and overly sweet. Nothing I expected from an award winning pâtissier. Overall, or meal at Spago was a let down. The food was boring, the desserts were ugly and the entire meal was definitely not worth the price of the hefty bill.
After dinner, while we were waiting for our car at valet a homeless man said he was hungry and was asking for money so I offered him some of our left over dessert. Even he didn't want to eat any of the Spago dessert, but he reluctantly took a brownie as he waked away. Bottom line is don't give into the hype, don't eat at Spago.

SPAGO
176 N Canon Dr.
Beverly Hills, CA 90210
Phone: (310) 385-0880

6 comments:

Clumbsy Cookie said...

I've heared a lot of good things about Spago ans specially about Sherry Yard. What a dissapointment... Desserts not only don't look good but they're not original at all... Shame...

VeggieGirl said...

Eek, sorry about your experience :0( I do think that the restaurant is beautiful inside though, haha ;0)

nita said...

when i was looking at the food pics and reading your stuff i wasn't very impressed. i would've expected more from this high profile place but i guess its good you went give it a try once.

That Girl said...

I feel like Spago has gone way downhill in the past 10 or so years.

ila said...

uwao, spago is was like a dream dinner for me, but kore yondara shinpai ni nacchattayo.

kimatusc said...

Me no likey either! Johnny and I went several years ago and haven't been back since!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin