Friday, October 17, 2008

Autumn Seafood Hot Pot

Hot pots or Nabe are a fall & winter staple food for Japanese people. These hearty one-pot meals can be prepared pretty much any way you want: consisting of broth, vegetables, meat or seafood. Nabe dishes are fun because they are usually prepared at the table in a portable pot and the family eats straight from the pot as the contents cook. We decided to do a seafood hotpot because my mom bought some really interesting looking crabs at the local Korean market. 4 blue crabs for $4!
These crabs were so beautiful but they didn't have a lot of meat on them since they were really small. We also threw in some scallops and had a great meal that warmed our tummies.

JAPANESE HOT POT RECIPE
Ingredients:
Any type of Crab
Scallops
Nappa Cabbage
Enoki Mushrooms
Green Onion
Firm Tofu
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp. mirin (sweet sake)
2 tbsp. dashi powder
(I did not specify amount of seafood and veggies because you can make as much as you want to eat)

Directions:
1. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil over high heat.
2. Add soy sauce, mirin, and dashi to the pot of water.
3. Throw veggies and seafood into the pot and eat as you cook.
4. Skim any foam that rises to the surface as you cook.
I'm looking forward to having a lot more of these yummy nabe meals this winter season.

10 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Glad to see you posting again!! :0)

appropriated.muffin said...

ooooooo nabe~ droool! if you share that with me i will deliver fresh warm cookies to your door! hehe. that looks sooooooo delish. my favorite thing to whip up when its toe-freezing cold. i'll have to post my 'ghetto' way of hot potting when i do it.

Daziano said...

WOW... that looks awesome!!!

Cakes by Combs said...

You've been tagged by my blog!

www.cakesbycombs.blogspot.com

Clumbsy Cookie said...

So you just dump everything there and voilá?! How nice!

Peter M said...

What time shall I come over? Who can say no to this?

That Girl said...

I think I would like hot pots. They remind me of low country boils - with more broth.

Leslie said...

Oh my...Those crabs look hand painted! YUM

fumipuriri said...

onabe iine~~!!

ila said...

during the winter season, Don and I seriously eat about 10-15 heads of hakusai due to nabe nommage.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin