Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Matsutake Gohan

The matsutake, is basically the Japanese truffle. It is one of the most coveted and expensive delicacies in Japanese cuisine. Matsutake is a wild mushroom that grows in the forests of Japan. Like truffles, these treasured mushrooms are extremely difficult to find. In the fall we all look forward to dishes that include matsutake. I love matsutake, it's so delicious and aromatic. It's the perfect autumn food.

MATSUTAKE GOHAN RECIPE
Ingredients:

1-2 Whole matsutake
2 cups rice
1tbsp. Sake
1 tbsp. Dashi
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1 dash of salt

Directions:
1. Clean the matsutake mushroom and grill for a few minutes.
2. Slice matsutake mushrooms.
3. Mix soy sauce, salt, dashi, and sake in a bowl.
4. Add water to your pot of rice and pour in all other ingredients on top.
5. Do not mix everything with the rice and let it cook.
6. Once the rice is cooked, mix the matsutake into the fluffy rice.
7. Eat!

10 comments:

ila said...

umyasoooo!!! i saw matsutake at mitsuwa last week at 110$/lb... it is indeed the japanese truffle.

That Girl said...

One day I'll try that. I do love mushrooms and truffles!

VeggieGirl said...

Japanese truffle, eh?? Interesting!

maybelle's mom said...

i have only eaten matsutake once, but it was amazing. I bet this rice is similar.

Adam said...

Well anything with truffle in it sounds expensive and exciting. This sounds great and easy, if I can afford it :)

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Everythime I come here I learn a new thing or about a new ingredient. I love mushrooms and truffles so I'm pretty sure I would love this too!

::Christine:: said...

Yum! Everything always looks so good.

Kimberly said...

Tag, you're it Lina! Check it out at: http://palmerpie.blogspot.com/

Kevin said...

I have not had Matsutake yet. I will have to keep an eye out to try it.

jeff said...

Mastutake are a unique and delicious mushroom indeed. however they are not truffles. The aorma that they have is so delicate that you cannot find recipes with matsutake other than where matsutake is grilled, steeped, or cooked in rice each time with very little seasonings, therefore it is my opinion that head to head even an exquisite specimen of a matsutake must bow down to an equally exquisite porcini (Cepe). No comparison.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin