Friday, October 3, 2008

Soboro-Don

Soboro is a bento classic. It's so simple and easy to make but it's so good! On Saturdays, when I had Japanese school, mom would pack me a bento box. The best Saturdays were when I saw soboro staring up at me when I opened my bento.
You can make soboro with any kind of ground meat but chicken is my favorite. Soboro-don (Soboro on top of a bowl of rice) often appears at home on our table during lunch time.

SOBORO DON RECIPE
Ingredients:
2 eggs
6-7 sugar snap peas
1lb ground chicken
1 tbs. sesame oil
2 tbs. mirin
2 tbs. sugar
2 tbs. sake
3 tbs. soy sauce
pinch of salt

Directions:
1. Boil snap peas and chop them up. Put the peas aside in a bowl.
2. Scramble the two eggs with a pinch of salt and a tsp. of sugar.
3. Heat up 1 Tbs. of sesame oil in a large non-stick frying pan or wok.
4. Add the ground meat and brown well. Next, add the sugar, and stir around until it’s caramelized a bit. Then, add the sake, mirin, and soy sauce and stir around to evaporate.
5. Let the meat simmer until the liquid is almost gone, but the meat is still moist.
6. Place the meat, eggs, and peas on a bed of rice and eat!

10 comments:

Lisa said...

This looks like nice lunch.

That Girl said...

I make bentos for our lunches every day - this is a great addition.

Daziano said...

Had no idea about this, but it looks delicious!!

VeggieGirl said...

Gotta love bento classics!! :0)

Gloria said...

Look absolutely tasty and yummy!!xGloria

Kevin said...

Looks good! I have made this and it is nice and simple and tasty.

Adam said...

Cool I've never seen anything quite like that before. Talk about some jealous kids around at school :)

Leslie said...

I will take that for lubch anyday!

Sophie said...

When it comes to ground meat, I'm always running out of ideas. Thanks for posting this! I'm holding onto this one :).

appropriated.muffin said...

this looks so easy and delish! i nice variation for me from oyako don. i'll be sure to try it out!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin