Saturday, November 8, 2008

Wine Country: Temecula, California

With the long veteran's day weekend, I have 4 days off of work! Since hubby and I don't get to spend too much quality time together these days, we decided to do a one night getaway to Temecula. It's about an hour away from LA, OC, and San Diego but it still has that country feeling. The weather was perfect and we had such a refreshing and relaxing time driving through the wine country. There are 14 local wineries in Temecula, and although Temecula wines are not as popular as Napa Valley wines they are quite tasty and underrated.One of our stops included the Ponte Family Estate Winery. We had lunch on the patio at the The Smokehouse Restaurant in the winery, overlooking the beautiful grape vines and mountains in the distance.The restaurant itself was gorgeous but the menu didn't offer a big variety. The best part about eating lunch here is the view and the $12 wine tasting menu.For $12 you get 3 full glasses of whichever wine you choose from the Ponte wine list. Hubby and I had 6 of these glasses and got to taste most of the great wines here. Out of the wines we tasted, the Ponte Family Estate Dolcetto was amongst our favorite. I've never tried "Dolcetto" before, but I learned that it is a northern Italian varietal and is a lighter bodied red. It was surprisingly fruity for a red wine and means 'little sweet one' in Italian. Hubby ordered the Gnocchi (potato dumplings) with sliced mushroom, arugula, red pepper-walnut pesto and Humboldt fog goat cheeseI opted for the Pulled Pork sandwich, which was pork with spicy roasted garlic BBQ sauce and pickled red onions on toasted brioche. (Basically, a fancy sloppy joe) haha.On the way home we drove the 73 highway past Lake Elsinore, it was a wonderful scenic view... if I didn't fall asleep half way from all the wine I drank.

9 comments:

That Girl said...

I keep talking about how I want to go visit Temecula - it's high on my to-do list given that it's in my backyard!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

What a great place! The food looks delicious!

Cheers,

Rosa

VeggieGirl said...

GORGEOUS!!!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Lol! That's a gorgeous place Lina, glad you and hubby had a good time!

Daziano said...

I'm looking forward to visit California soon. I'm sure it'll remind me of Italy and also of Chile where I lived for so many years!

::Christine:: said...

I've never gone wine tasting in Temecula and its only 40-45 min away from me. Looks like fun!

fumipuriri said...

i love napa so temecula would be a great option closer to home!

Peabody said...

Humbolt Fog cheese is so yummy. Looks like everything you had there was good.

Sophie said...

I lived in California half my life; I can't believe I never went to a vineyard! This sounds like the perfect getaway for two lovebirds, glad you had a good time :D!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin