Saturday, December 27, 2008

Merry Christmas! Eat Your Face Off!

I'm a few days late, but I wanted to share with you our Christmas dinner. On the 25th we went to our all time favorite Italian restaurant, Chianti. Christmas is all about eating, and family of course... so Otousan, hubby and I went out for a festive Christmas evening meal in Tokyo.
When they break out the finger bowl, you know it's a proper place. The first time I was offered one of these things I nearly drank the water out of it. I guess it's used for rinsing your fingers before you eat your meal but I still don't really get the point of it. hmmm.
Anyhow, I was excited about the meal because the restaurant was dressed up in Christmas decorations and they had special dishes on their Christmas menu that evening. I started off with a Cassis Orange cocktail which is a mix of Cassis liqueur and orange juice. Sweet, fruity, and girly, just the way I like it.
This isn't the typical Italian restaurant that I'm familiar with. They don't serve heaping bowls of pasta or jumbo plates of lasagna, but they serve what Otousan calls Nouvelle cuisine. A new and innovative way of preparing and serving food.
I'm the type of person who can never make up her mind about what she wants to eat on the menu, because I want to try everything! So for someone like me, Chanti is godsend. The server wheels out carts of dishes and you can choose as many dishes as you like and he will serve you small portions of each. Awesomeness.
I want that one, that one, that one, that one and that one! This particular appetizer was escargot in a pastry puff. I don't have much experience trying escargot, and I didn't want to order a whole plate. So without wasting too many snails, I was able to taste test and realize that escargot is just not my thing. The portions are quite small so I got to try so many things!
This was a crab bisque soup. Creamy and warming.
We even had some pasta before our main course. I had some spaghetti arrabiata and pepperoncini.
Hubby had the veal cutlets which were juicy and delicious.
I had the herb encrusted grilled fish. Very aromatic and delicious as well.
Dessert was the best part. I got to pick as many desserts as my heart desired and the server sliced small slivers from each cake.
I had strawberry shortcake, roll cake, and Mont Blanc cake. Whenever I come to Japan I have to eat loads of Mont Blanc cake because you can just never find it in the states! Mont Blanc (pronounced "monbran" in Japanese) is cake made by using a lavish amount of chestnut. This cake is called Mont Blanc because it imitates the appearance of a mountain in the Alps.
Hubby had the pumpkin flan, gateau chocolat, and cheese mousse cake.
Christmas evening ended on a perfect note of sweets and warm tea. Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.
RESTAURANT CHIANTI
東京都目黒区自由が丘
2−9−15中村ビルB1F
Tokyo, Japan
Tel: 03-3717-6200

2 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Such a stellar Christmas celebration meal!! I love Italian cuisine :-)

ila said...

umasoooo. this is the same chain as the one in lomita, yes?
there's a HUGE thread on 2ch, where people discuss of futile attempts at trying to mimic chianti's salad dressing. is it THAT phenomenal???

Blog Widget by LinkWithin