Sunday, December 7, 2008

Our Very Own... Charlie Brown Christmas Tree

"I never thought it was such a bad little tree. It's not bad at all, really. Maybe it just needs a little love." -Linus (from A Charlie Brown Christmas)I walked into the living room and had a "Charlie Brown Christmas" flashback. I started busted out laughing when I saw this horrifically ugly and straggly looking so called Christmas tree sitting in our living room. I think I hurt my dad's feelings...
My husband and I will be out of town for the holidays and my mom and sister will be in Japan till the new years so we decided not to bother with holiday decorations this year. Dad and the bro will be spending Christmas with just the company of each other. I guess my dad didn't want to spend the lonely Christmas season without decorations because he went out and bought a fresh wreath for the front door... and chopped down a small pine tree in our front yard "the way we used to do it back in the day," as he put it.
Dad was beaming with pride over his triumph of finding the perfect Christmas tree and chopping it down with his very own hands. I swallowed the chuckles and complimented Dad on his job well done. It's not the perfect Christmas tree from Home Depot but it somehow feels a little more special than the ones we've had the previous years. I guess with a little bit of love (and a lot of fancy decorations) the tree isn't so bad after all. It's been a warm winter so far in SoCal, but it finally feels like Christmas is here.

7 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Aww, looks like a cute tree to me!! :-)

Have a wonderful Christmas holiday with your husband and the rest of the family!!

Leslie said...

What a sweet story!! no need to get the fancy store bought Christmas tree! This one is just fine!!

That Girl said...

Awwww what a sweet tree. And the gesture of your dad cutting it down makes it really Christmasy!

Nina Timm said...

Obviously the "child" in your dad is alive and strong and he can still appreciate the goodness that is to be found in the little things

Sophie said...

Aww lol that's a sweet tree. Your dad sounds too cute!

I miss warm Cali winters :)!

milkrobot said...

hhahaha Dad's funny. Poor tree.

See you soon sis!

::Christine:: said...

I just laughed out loud. This reminds me of my friend Andrew (You met him finally!. He had this Charlie Brown tree one year cause his mom always feels bad for the sad looking trees on the lot and they just put these cute red ribbons all over it.

CUTE. HAHA!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin