Friday, June 12, 2009

Cachaça

Since I'm on a roll blogging about the various beverages I had in Brazil (& I had a request) I'm going to dedicate this blog to Cachaça. Cachaça is hard alcohol, a distilled fermented cane juice to be exact. The alcohol strength can be anywhere from 38% to 80% by volume. This stuff will get you wasted! And it's the most popular alcohol in Brazil.Hubby and I visited a small mill that produces artesanal cachaças during our stay in Paraty. Traditionally, the fermentation agent is a maize flour and the distillation unit is a copper pot still, like this one we saw at the mill. There were so many different flavors to choose from but we picked a bottle of passion fruit flavored cachaça to bring home with us.Cachaça is used to make the most famous Brazilian cocktail, the caipirinha! And boy, did we have plenty during the Carnival in February.

Caipirinha Recipe

Ingredients
1 lime
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup Cachaça
ice
Directions
1. Cut the lime into wedges.
2. Put lime and sugar in a tall glass and smash with a pestle.
3. Add the same amount of liquor & lime juice and stir.
4. Add ice and stir again.
5. Get Drunk.
To be honest, I don't think I want to drink another Caipirinha again. Don't get me wrong Caipirinhas are really good! But I overloaded in Brazil during Carnival time. The smell of sugar and lime now brings on a gag reflex... haha.

4 comments:

Clumbsy Cookie said...

I loooooooooooooooooooove caipirinha!!!

Nita Adriany said...

i heard about caipiriniha....my cw would always talk about it! you have to make me a drink!!!

Sophie said...

alcohol made from cane juice?! That sounds too cool! :)

Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog -- hope you're doing well. Sounds like you're having a lot of fun traveling.

Dawn said...

one of my all-time fav drinks. lucky lucky you!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin