Monday, June 1, 2009

Guarana

Guarana. I first discovered this fresh drink on my flight to Japan via Varig (Brazilian) airline when I was a school kid. Everyone on the flight seemed to be drinking from this Christmas colored can, so I asked the flight attendant for one too. I've been hooked ever since. Except it's kind of hard to find in the states.
Probably the most popular drink after Coca Cola is Guarana Antarctica. It kind of tastes like an extra-sweet Ginger Ale. So what exactly is Guarana? I had no idea... but I had a chance to try it in it's pure form during my visit to the Amazon. I tried the "100% pure Guarana" drink which looked and tasted nothing like the Guarana soda. It tasted like a peanut butter protein shake since the guarana powder is traditionally blended with peanuts.
Guarana is actually a shrub native to the Amazon rain forest. It grows small, berry-like red fruit that contain black seeds. Guarana gives you a caffeine kick, and it's also popular as a fat-burning or weight-loss supplement.Guarana drinks and sodas are very popular in Brazil. In the Amazon I tried this dark Guarana soda called Bare and it's now my favorite~!

3 comments:

Dawn said...

I've heard of that! Always wanted to try it.
When do we get to see a pic of a caphirina? Am I spelling that right?

TonyC said...

pure guarana oddly looks like champurrado. then again, champurrado is just hominy + chocolate so..

Mochachocolata Rita said...

I miss guarana so much! Hmmm I wonder if I can find it in luxury supermarkets here ^_^

Blog Widget by LinkWithin