Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Blueberry Scones

I've never had REAL scones until my trip to Scotland last summer. Until then, I've only had the kind they sell at coffee shops that have been sitting in the glass cases for so long that they turn hard as rocks. But in Glasgow I had fresh baked blueberry scones with heavenly clotted cream, and discovered how amazing real scones were. It was my first time trying clotted cream too... it was like butter but better. Scones and clotted cream, a match made in heaven. A new found obsession.
For some reason, I have been totally craving scones lately. I've never made scones before so I scoured the Internet and food blogs for a simple and delicious scone recipe. The other day I came across The Recipe Girl's blog about strawberry scones and I knew that I had to try it out. Unfortunately, I didn't have fresh strawberries or maple sugar that the recipe called for, so I adapted.Borrowing recipes from other people can be like the game of telephone sometimes; the information exchanges hands and becomes something different with each person it meets. The Recipe Girl originally adapted the recipe from Confessions of a Tart, switched it up a little, and now I adapted the scone recipe from The Recipe Girl and switched it up once again. I don't think the Confessions of a Tart blogger would recognize her own recipe if she came across this one. hehe.
BLUEBERRY SCONES
*Adapted from The Recipe Girl (Who adapted from Confessions of a Tart)

Ingredients:
1/2 cup dried blueberries
2 Tbs granulated sugar
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
3 Tbs butter, in cubes, slightly softened
1/3 cup whipping cream
coarse sugar for topping
The scones turned out so wonderful! Especially with a cup of English tea, jam and butter... I don't know where in LA I could find clotted cream, so butter had to do, but it was a perfect breakfast and really hit the spot.

6 comments:

fumipuriri said...

looks yummy!

VeggieGirl said...

Scrumptious "real" scones!! :-D

Rhyleysgranny said...

Your scones look lovely. How nice for you to be in Glasgow. I spent my youth there. Great city. When you make scones again take a tip from a very old hand at scones. Use butter milk or milk soured with lemon juice instead of cream and replace your baking powder with bicarbonate/baking soda. You will be surprised at the results. Also what you have in facr made is a farl. This is Irish. If you slice through and don't separate they just break off when you take them from the oven. A bit like a loaf. Much lighter and softer result. Forgive me. I can't help it :)

RecipeGirl said...

Happy to have provided inspiration :) Wonder if it would work to incorporate fresh blueberries. You'd prob have to be very careful or they'd run blue all over the place!

Nita Adriany said...

yummy!

Irene said...

I'm going to try these your way! I love the substitutions of whole wheat flour and blueberries. :) One place where you can find clotted cream is at the Tudor House on 2nd street in Santa Monica. It's in a jar, but still delicious.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin