Monday, July 6, 2009

Michel Richard Patisserie

I've been eating pastries from Michel Richards for as long as I can remember. A good family friend of ours, Yoko-san, lived in Beverly Hills near Robertson Blvd. and would bring a box of the apple turnovers ($2.50) every time she came to visit us in the OC. Needless to say, I always looked forward to a visit from her and her daughters who were the best playmates. This little cafe restaurant has been around since 1977 and French people actually work in the kitchen and at the counter so you know it has to be great!

I've never actually visited the Patisserie until I moved out to LA a few years ago. And I've actually never had anything else from the pretty glass case stuffed with cakes and pastries either because I always go back for the apple turnovers. They are just so good that I can't get myself to try something new.
Once (11 years ago or so) Yoko-san brought us a box of dozen apple turnovers on one of her visits and my mom left it on the kitchen counter for us to enjoy later. Well, our golden retriever got to it before we did and ate every single one of them! We were so disappointed but the dog sure did look happy.
My parents spent the night out our place yesterday and we decided to go pick up a box of turnovers ourselves to enjoy for breakfast today, and boy did we! The flavor and texture never changes through all of the years. Light, crispy, flaky, and ultra buttery but the apple sauce inside isn't overwhelmingly sweet. I've been told that the apple sauce inside is freshly homemade everyday. I will be back to this place again and again and maybe one day I'll get around to trying something else on the menu!
Michel Richard
310 S Robertson Blvd,
Los Angeles, CA 90048
Tel: (310) 275-5707

5 comments:

Nita Adriany said...

yumm! i should take nat there...he looooves apple turnovers!

Indigo said...

Ohh, those pictures look amazing. I'd love to know more about proper patisserie (rather than regular homebaking)... but in the meantime I'd settle for regular visits somewhere like that!

TonyC said...

I just walked by again Tuesday nite and thought: how come no one writes about this place this anymore! And Voila!

Michel Richard still has groupies in LA...

My Taste Heaven said...

Those really look so delicious. How I wish I can have all of them!

kissmyspatula said...

you're killin' me. everything looks so amazing...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin