Monday, July 27, 2009

Pao de Queijo

During my visit to Brazil I saw signs all over, "Lanchonete." At first I had no idea what it meant but I caught on quickly. It means snack! Everyone in Brazil eats snack between lunch and dinner. Even when I was staying at my aunt & uncle's place in Manaus, my auntie served us lanchonete everyday. She would bake a fresh cake, make us sandwiches, and even serve us fresh squeezed juice.

One thing I loved having for lanchonete was pao de queijo, a Brazilian cheese puff pastry. *This is a photo of a bag of pao de queijos I picked up at a bakery in Ipanema when I was in Brazil.
This ping pong ball sized bread is just so cheezy and chewy. I love pao de queijo so much that I even attempted to make these from scratch myself, but failed miserably. They turned out tasting like balls of chalk... But this time, I went to the local Brazilian super market (Supermercado Brazil) in Culver City and picked me up a bag of pao de queijo mix!The bag of mix costs about $2.50, and is completely fool proof. All you do is mix some water and eggs, then roll the dough into little balls.Pop them into the oven and bake!Sooooo easy, soooo delicious, and quite the crowd pleaser. They taste especially yummy when they are hot out of the oven. I don't think I'll ever try making these from scratch again. Why bother when the instant mix is so yummy anyways right?

SUPERMERCADO BRAZIL

10826 Venice Blvd.

Culver City, CA 90232

(310) 837-4294

2 comments:

Clumbsy Cookie said...

I love pão de queijo!!! My sister (that lives in Brazil) sends me those packages all the time! If fact I had them last week, yummm!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Those little rolls look delicious! A great Brazilian speciality!

Cheers,

Rosa

Blog Widget by LinkWithin