Friday, August 21, 2009

Angel Food Birthday Cake

Dad, my dog, hubby, and brother all share birthdays just within a few days of each other. It has become our family tradition to celebrate all 4 birthdays together. This year, we celebrated by having a backyard BBQ. Dad requested an angel food cake for his birthday so that's what we had! For some reason, the cake deflated a little after I took it out of the oven and it was not as fluffy as I hoped it would be (it was a little on the dense side for an angel food cake). But I covered it up with some fresh whipped cream and strawberries and it tasted pretty good.

ANGEL FOOD CAKE RECIPE
Ingredients:
1 cup cake flour (sifted)
1 1/2 cup sugar
12 large egg whites
1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

Directions:
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt, beat on medium high.
3. Add 3/4 cups of sugar slowly on high until stiff peaks form.
4. Add sifted cake flour and another 3/4 cups of sugar while continuing to beat on low.
5. Fold in the vanilla and almond extract, scraping the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl.
6. Pour the mixture into an ungreased angel food cake pan.
7. bake for 30-35 minutes until the top springs back when you touch it lightly.
8. Let it cool on a cake rack and then invert the pan. (This is the hardest part!)
9. Decorate the cake with homemade whipped cream and strawberries if desired.
Check out this new gadget I got! A cake sifter to add to my baking tools. I've always wanted one and I love it. I've only had it for about a week and I've been using it a lot. Is it lame that I get super excited over kitchen utensils?

3 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

SO much celebrating!! Fabulous :)

And hey, I too get excited over kitchen utensils, so no worries, haha.

Nita Adriany said...

i have one too! i got it on sale at Marshalls! hahah

prolix said...

Good Post! Very informative, glad that you are going to continue writing things like this!
Cooking Equipment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin