Hubby and I visited Mazatlan back in 07' it was a great trip, but I reminisce about the pie I had there. I actually had banana cream pie for the first time in the small village of Copala, Mexico, about 40 miles from the beach resort of Mazatlan. Above is a picture of that legendary pie before I inhaled it. I don't even remember what the name of the restaurant was, but I was blown away with the first bite! They served a coconut banana cream pie that just melted in my mouth. I've been dreaming about that pie for about 2 years now, and I decided to relive the moment by creating my very own banana cream pie. I even made the crust myself. I didn't add any coconut to it, but wow... I think this pie is like one of the best things that I have ever baked. It was so delicious!
BANANA CREAM PIE RECIPE
1 9-inch baked Graham Cracker pie shell
3 cups whole milk
3/4 cup white sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 egg yolks
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Have a baked 9-inch Graham Cracker pie shell ready.
2. In a large saucepan, scald the milk.
3. another saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt; gradually stir in the scalded milk.
4. Over medium heat, stirring constantly, cook until thickened. Cover and, stirring occasionally, cook for two minutes longer.
5. In a separate bowl have 1 mashed banana ready for use.
6. In a small bowl, have the 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten, ready; stir a small amount of the hot mixture into beaten yolks; when thoroughly combined, stir yolks and mashed bananas into hot mixture.
7. Cook for one minute longer, stirring constantly.
8. Remove from heat and blend in the butter and vanilla.
9. Let sit until lukewarm.
10. When ready to pour, slice bananas and scatter in pie shell; pour warm mixture over bananas.
11. If desired, decorate with fresh whipped cream before serving.