Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Banana Dream Pie

Hubby and I visited Mazatlan back in 07' it was a great trip, but I reminisce about the pie I had there. I actually had banana cream pie for the first time in the small village of Copala, Mexico, about 40 miles from the beach resort of Mazatlan. Above is a picture of that legendary pie before I inhaled it. I don't even remember what the name of the restaurant was, but I was blown away with the first bite! They served a coconut banana cream pie that just melted in my mouth. I've been dreaming about that pie for about 2 years now, and I decided to relive the moment by creating my very own banana cream pie. I even made the crust myself. I didn't add any coconut to it, but wow... I think this pie is like one of the best things that I have ever baked. It was so delicious!

BANANA CREAM PIE RECIPE

Ingredients:

1 9-inch baked Graham Cracker pie shell
3 cups whole milk
3/4 cup white sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 egg yolks
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 bananas

Directions:

1. Have a baked 9-inch Graham Cracker pie shell ready.
2. In a large saucepan, scald the milk.
3. another saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt; gradually stir in the scalded milk.
4. Over medium heat, stirring constantly, cook until thickened. Cover and, stirring occasionally, cook for two minutes longer.
5. In a separate bowl have 1 mashed banana ready for use.
6. In a small bowl, have the 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten, ready; stir a small amount of the hot mixture into beaten yolks; when thoroughly combined, stir yolks and mashed bananas into hot mixture.
7. Cook for one minute longer, stirring constantly.
8. Remove from heat and blend in the butter and vanilla.
9. Let sit until lukewarm.
10. When ready to pour, slice bananas and scatter in pie shell; pour warm mixture over bananas.
11. If desired, decorate with fresh whipped cream before serving.

11 comments:

Mochachocolata Rita said...

i've never tried banana cream pie before...but considering my deep love for bananas...i think i'll love it ^_^...will try to bake one someday

Leslie said...

oh good God. That looks like heaven in a pie plate!

Chow and Chatter said...

wow what a pie

fumipuriri said...

Bananaパイ食べたことないけど、
おいしそう!

Murasaki Shikibu said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)

Your banana cream pie looks absolutely delicious!

Anh said...

This looks so yummy!

apparentlyjessy said...

Yum! I love banana desserts, this pie looks delicious! And I love the first picture.

tomomi said...

うまそー。

tomomi said...

YEY! i could finally comment on your blog! NICE:)

Nita Adriany said...

looks freaking good!!! your post made me think of Vanesa b/c looooves banana cream pie!

Jordan Gilman said...

Totally saved this recipe!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin