Saturday, August 15, 2009

Camping in Yosemite

The final destination of our road trip was Yosemite National Park. I have never been to Yosemite before so I was so excited! I was not dissapointed, it was just gorgeous.
We were amazed by the beauty of the trees, waterfalls, and cliffs.

We even got to enjoy a sunset from Glacier Point and watch the colors of the sun change shades against the half dome.
Hubby and I camped out at a campsite inside of the park near Glacier Point. We didn't have a tent, so we slept in our car again. But we came prepared for a campfire and of course, Smores!
Smores are the best! The perfect Smores just take a few simple steps and ingredients.
Campfire. check.
Graham cracker. check.
Marshmallows and chocolate. check.
I learned that I have been roasting my marshmallows the wrong way all these years. I would plunge my marshmallow-on-a-stick into the fire until it was a flaming fire ball and then I would blow out the fire and peel off the black burnt skin of my marshmallow before eating it. But this time, I think I perfected the art of marshmallow roasting.
The best way roast the marshmallow is not directly in the flames of the campfire but slightly over it, while making sure to rotate your stick. This will take longer to cook than the fireball method, but is definitely worth it. Make sure to check your marshmallow to make sure it doesn't burn. Once it is a golden brown color, you know its ready for that chocolate and Graham cracker.After stuffing ourselves silly with sugar and chocolate we were in dire need of some exercise the next morning. What better way to burn off those calories than a beautiful nature hike! One of the best hikes of our trip was to the top of Sentinel Dome.
We also hiked the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias The Fallen Monarch was so cool! It was a giant Sequoia tree that fell more than three hundred years ago. To see those huge towaring roots was really neat.

4 comments:

Chow and Chatter said...

wow what a place amazing

Leslie said...

What stunning photos..thanks for sharing

VeggieGirl said...

Can't have a proper camping trip without S'Mores!! Yum :) Great atmosphere too!!

Karine said...

I love Yosemite! I spent such a great time there 3 years ago...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin