Saturday, August 8, 2009

Happy Birthday Cake

Today is Hubby's Birthday! A very special day indeed. Last year I baked him a cheesecake, but this year I decided to go all out and bake a cake from scratch. Hubby likes "Japanese style Strawberry Shortcake":buttery, light, and creamy without being overwhelmingly sweet. I'm not the most experienced cake baker so I knew this was going to be a challenge for me.The sponge cake is a chiffon cake. My first attempt was a total failure. I didn't whip the eggs up enough and the cake ended up coming out of the oven looking like a dense pancake. At this point I'd already been baking for over an hour and I had to start all over again! Agh!
The second attempt turned out so much better! I whipped up the eggs and sugar until stiff peaks formed (and this took a while with a hand mixer), and the cake was so fluffy!

JAPANESE STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE RECIPE
(used metric system measurements)
*adapted from cookpad

Ingredients:
For Cake:
4 eggs
60g sugar
60g whole wheat pastry flour
5g baking powder
30g butter

For Cream:
200cc Heavy whipping cream
30g sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence

For Syrup:
4 tbsp boiling water
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp rum
1 pack of strawberries

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2.With a mixer, mix the eggs and sugar until stiff peaks form.
3. Sift the pastry flour and baking powder together and fold into the egg mixture gently so you won't deflate the batter.
4. Melt the butter in a microwave and fold into the batter once cooled.
5. Pour the batter into 2 greased cake pans and bake for 20-25 minutes.
6. Once the cake is baked, pop it out of the pan and cool on a rack.
7. For the cream, mix the heavy whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla essence with a mixer until thick.
8. For the syrup, melt the sugar with boiling hot water and add desired amount of rum.
9. Once the syrup is cooled, cover one layer of the cake with the syrup.
10. Top that layer with whipping cream & sliced strawberries (like my picture below)
11. Cover strawberries with another layer of cream, and place the second layer carefully on top.
12. Ice the final top layer of the cake and decorate with strawberries as desired.
13. Sing "Happy Birthday" and eat!
I'm so proud of myself because the cake turned out wonderful. Just like the kind you buy at the Japanese bakery. The slightly sweet and aromatic cake complimented the sweet and sour strawberries.
Happy birthday Hubby! I love you! Eat your cake~

4 comments:

Rocio said...

Hi Lina! I like your blog very much, I'll stopping by.
your recipes are really yummy :o)

VeggieGirl said...

Happy birthday to the hubby! :-)

Gera @ SweetsFoods said...

Lina Happy Birthday to your Hubby!! With these super cake my sweet tooth is on the roof :)

Thanks for stopping by on my blog!

Cheers,

Gera

Nita Adriany said...

amazing!! you;re quite a baker! you must teach me!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin