Friday, August 14, 2009

Monterey Bay Aquarium & Seafood Watch

During our road trip we made a stop at the Monterey Bay Aquarium. The jellyfish and seahorse exhibits were really extensive and beautiful. I had a field day taking photos through the glass. Not only was our visit to the aquarium fun, but it was really insightful. The aquarium has a program called "Seafood Watch" that educates people about how the choices we make about our seafood impact marine life.

I never really thought about the sources of my seafood but reading about the species of fish being threatened by overfishing and improper fishing practices really opened my eyes. Worldwide, the demand for seafood is increasing. Many populations of the large fish we enjoy eating are over fished and, in the U.S., we import 80% of our seafood to meet the demand. God forbid tuna should ever go extinct! But by choosing to eat fish caught or farmed using environmentally friendly practices, we will be supporting healthy, abundant oceans.
These sea dragons look like kelp!

1 comments:

Claudinette said...

Wow ! It's seems you had a nice visit. You took very beautiful pictures there. I esp. like the third one.

Thank you for your comment on my blog. I'm not from france, i'm from Canada more precisely from Qu├ębec (a french province).

Keep rocking your blog.

Claudine xx

Blog Widget by LinkWithin