Monday, September 28, 2009

A-Bomb Memorial

No, we didn't go to Hiroshima just to eat. We took a trip to Hiroshima with the family to get a little history lesson on the events of the Hiroshima atomic bombing.On August 6, 1945 the first nuclear bomb to be used against mankind detonated directly above this dome building in Hiroshima, Japan. When the bomb exploded, thousands of badly burned victims jumped into the rivers but most didn't survive. Stories say that the river was red with blood and thousands of corpses were floating in the water. My visit to Hiroshima was frightening and depressing. To see and read about the after effects of the bombing at the Hiroshima Peace memorial Museum made me seriously think about war and humanity.
The museum was quite graphic; displaying gory photos and objects of people injured or killed in the bombing. Grandma and otousan didn't come inside the museum because they said they had been there before. I totally understand, because it is a place I never want to visit again. Once is enough. It's hard to think that America did such a horrible thing to Japan, especially since my father is American and my mother is Japanese.The high radiation levels of the atomic bomb continue to affect people today. Children were born with disabilities and diseases. There is a famous story about a little girl named Sadako Sasaki who was two years old and living in Hiroshima when the atomic bomb dropped. Ten years later, because of radiation, she died of Leukemia in 1955. Now, there is a Children's memorial dedicated to her and all children who suffer from war. Hundreds of thousands of paper origami cranes made by children adorn the memorial.
A Nuclear Abolition Flame is lit near the A-Bomb dome. It is a flame that will remain lit until all nuclear bombs on the planet are destroyed and the planet is free from the threat of nuclear annihilation. I hope that in my lifetime the flame will no longer burn.

5 comments:

ila said...

my kaachan is Hiroshimanese, so I used to go here when I visited Japan. the museum would give me nightmares for weeks, but it's part of my family history. Looks like you went in August??

VeggieGirl said...

Incredible!

tomomi said...

ive been there with my mom and sister. it was so depressing but we have to face the facts and learn from it! PEACE!

weisresidential said...

I was watching this A & E documentary about the bombing and the Japanese angels from Hiroshima...and some of the survivors stories were so sad, I was crying like a baby for like two hours straight. The survivors were treated like outcasts for their entire lives...There is so much sadness in our history.

Karl said...

I should probably visit that place. I think I'll learn a lot about its history if I went there in person.

virtual office

Blog Widget by LinkWithin